Well, It has just arrived and is now sitting on my drive.

222.jpg

Brakes are partially seized due to it been sitting for about 12 months, I think its the rears as the handbrake is only clicking once and then pulling up.. I'll sort that first so its easier to pull in and out of the garage.

Battery is completely dead, so will get that on charge too. I can then start looking at where the starting problem is.

Then I'll have a good look round, make the list and then start working through it. Probably remove all trim (wheelarch and sill) to have a proper look at the extent of the rot.. Then sort that out.

Time to sit down and strat writing a strategy!! :-#

I'll keep the thread updated with photos and progress..

Thanks for looking and expect me to come calling for help... :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out in the garage today and had a look round the electrical system on the VR6 to see if I could get it jump started.

Checked the Spark plugs 1st and found that the lead to Cylinder 2 is snapped at the top...

Would this cause the engine to not fire up or do they still fire on 5? Not that I want to, but it would point to getting the plugs, leads and battery relaced 1st before worrying about relays and fuses.

The car has power, dash lights are present and when turning the ignition, the relays tick and the fuel pump gives a whir... the engine will turn over but not fire..

As there is only me, I am having trouble checking to see if I am getting a spark?

Time to get the wallet open

They will run on 5 but obviously very limpy. But yes, need to check if fuel is getting there. Take a spark plug out and smell!!! or disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail and give a quick turn of the starter to see if any fuel comes out.

To check for a spark, can't you lay the number 6 plug on something metal, stand outside of the car and turn it over looking through the bonnet??!!

At the same time as getting things mechanically sound,I am also gonna start hoarding parts for the aesthetic side of things...List of wants!!

1.Vento Front End - Anybody got anything?

2. BBS RS (Although realistically will be a set of Lenso or Dares till the cashflow is better!!

3.Bagyard Air ride set up (Mechanical & Aesthetic)

If anybody has any ebay links and other parts for sale on other forums,could you let me know...

Thanks in advance

:)

Yeah oldmandon!! Gonna remove the arch trims and get it a bit smoother looking, will also allow me to roll the arches to tuck them wheels under! Gonna need a new exhaust as well and while I' m at it, getting things polished, powdercoated and chromed. Have seen a carbon fibre vento bonnet but not sure if it's a bit much.

Alrighty then!! Been out in the garage and checked a few things. We have fuel! On ignition the pump buzzes and fuel comes out of the feed to the rail. It has an aftermarket immobiliser fitted and uses a keyfob to arm and disarm. It operates the central locking and alarm. I turn the immobiliser off and I get dash lights etc. I then turn the ignition and the engine turns over. But no spark :( I have taken 2 vids from both inside the car and in the engine bay. Will get links to the YouTube page as soon as I can. I don't have access to a vag com so can't check for faults. What can the lack of spark be down too? Help is required!! Coil pack? Ht leads? Immobiliser? Aaaarrrrrgggghhh

immobiliser wouldn't stop spark, it would fire up and cut off after a second or 2.

have you gone round every lead with a spark plug attached and the electrode resting on the engine metal and turned the engine over to see if there is spark from any of them at all? All 6 dying at once is pretty long odds so it would suggest coilpack.

What is the relay number?