Car won't start - again! :-(

Hi all,

Hoping once again for some advice from the good guru's out there.

My VR6 won't start. It fires up but then dies straight away. It has done this for a few weeks but has always started on the second or third attempt. However this morning it took a good 6-7 attempts but did start but now won't start at all?

Any ideas peeps?

When you say starts up but cuts out straight away.. how long is this for? Does it start for about a second then cut out every time or does it vary' date=' and what happens if you start it with a bit of accelerator?

Are you using the original key?

[/quote']

It's seemingly fires and then the revs just drop off, no idle, nothing. Makes no difference with or without throttle. And yes I am using a the original key. It has a button on it?

Reading some other posts and forums suggests it could be the immobiliser. I have an aftermarket Laserline alarm system but is there also a factory fitted system? Is that related to the button on the key? Does it have a battery?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

The starting is still very intermittent. Have a friend coming to vagcom in the morning so will see what that throw's up. I'm more and more convinced it's the ignition switch as it's a common issue and having searched this and other forums my symptoms match those of others that have suffered the same. I hope in some ways it is the switch as it's an easy fix and even my main stealer quoted under £100 to replace.

Will keep you posted on progress!

Hello!

Right, had the ignition switch replaced and so far so good. Only picked the car up last night so early days yet and will 'test' over the weekend but hopefully it's sorted.

One question, the scan revealed a couple of ABS sensor faults (no surprise) but also a short to the 'charcoal filter solenoid'. What is this? Any ideas?

Cheers, Dan

charcoal filter solenoid is the valve on the left hand side of the engine bay underneath the air intake, basically it has a feed from the fuel tank, through a charcoal filter and into the inlet manifold under certain running conditions ( is an emissions related thing) the feed from the fuel tank doesnt supply neat fuel, it is for the fuel vapour in the tank.