I got a new VR6 today!

I got another 1998 dragon green 3 door today. This one has black leather interior. It's very good condition. The rear seats look like they have never been sat in. No rust, no stone chips on the bonnet, No modifications except K&N air filter and sports back box. The engine bay is very tidy. Original 15" BBS alloys.

The car has full VW service history and has only done 57,500 miles. It has had a service every six months with as little as 500 miles between some of the services and the most it has gone between any service is about 6k. The previous owner kept it in a garage and only driven it occasionally and only in the dry.

The car runs like a dream, it looks, feels and drives like it's brand new. I'm very pleased with it.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take some.

I would like to, the trouble is I'm a sound engineer, and I get really busy working at festivals through the summer. There was a few shows that I wanted to get to last year but I couldn't make it too any of them. I'm going to really try to get to some this year.

I'm in two minds about modifying this one, I like the look of my old one with the 40mm lowered springs and I loved the way it handled with the uprated dampers, ARB's & polybushes. But this one is so nice as it is, that firstly I'm worried that I might ruin it and secondly, there aren't that many left in this condition with low miles and still original.

That does make sense and I agree.

When I got my previous one it was already lowered and needed a bit of work. I spent a lot of money upgrading the suspension, fitting ARB's, Polybushes and uprated brakes then it blew the head gasket.

My plan was to get a new one and swap the suspension and brakes over then sell the old one as spares or repair. I have the old one insured for a month, so I need to decide what I'm doing and do the work in the next month.

But now I have this one, I'm reluctant to modify it. I think I will do the brakes and the ARB's and it's the lowered suspension that I need to think about. Maybe I will leave the suspension for a year or two and then save up lots of money and get the best suspension that I can afford. The old car has Koni sport spring and damper set which is very good but I have been in a car that had Koni coilovers and it felt better than the kit I have and maybe there is some kit I could get that is better than Koni.

Today I swapped the Brakes for the EBC grooved and Greenstuff that I had on my old car and I swapped the ARB for the Eibach ARB from the old car. I have also swapped the wheels to see what it looks like with the 17's on it.

I'm not sure about wheels yet. Maybe standard, maybe GTI wheels, probably a nice set of 16's I think. I'm going to keep the original BBS wheels in the garage at the moment and drive it with these 17's on for a bit.

The brakes are so much better than standard and they work much better on the new car rather than the old. :)

The ARB's have done exactly what they say they do and while fitting them I noticed that the car already has Koni adjustable dampers, The Koni dampers with (I assume) original springs works very well and now with the Eibach ARB's it handles very well but still has a comfortable ride. It's firm but feels very good. :) :) :)

I'm so pleased with the way it handles and feels, that I really don't want to mess with it by fitting different springs but it does need lowering. The front mainly need doing. I'm going to fit FK lowering spring caps and Supersprint top mounts to the front. This should lower the front by 20-30mm without affecting the ride. I think this will even it up, so the front looks the same as the back and then I just need to find the right wheel and tire combo that looks good

The 17" Fox Racing wheels, I put on are heavier than the 15" BBS wheels that are standard. The car sits higher in the air with them on too, so overall they must be slightly bigger than the standard wheels. They have 205/40/17 with a very slight stretch.

I noticed a difference in the way the car drives too.

The steering feels slightly heavier when maneuvering at parking speeds, not a lot but enough to notice.

It feels like it takes a bit more effort to get the car moving fast from a stand still, also wheel spins less but once it's moving it seems to go faster. It feels faster but that could be to do with the ARB making it stiffer and making it feel faster. The 17" tires are brand new Toyo's and the 15" tires are Admiral. That probably explains the better grip of the 17's (Never tried Admiral tires before)

I like the way it drives with the 17's on but I would like to try some 16's, I think that would be better than the 17's

• 2 weeks later...

16s are the way to go

the best size wheel in my opinion

and some 45 profile tyres

Is your opinion based on looks, handling, comfort or a compromise between the three?

The wheels I have chosen are not available in 16's, I think they look good in 15's with a 50 profile and I think that will be best for comfort and that is top of my list of priorities.

• 4 weeks later...