just done mine what a pig to do ,does any one know if the bolts that goes through rear bushes are ment to be replaced because vw says to turque upto 70 nm and then 90degreees(very thight) ,sounds like a strech bolt ?must say has improved handiing and stopping

does any one know if the bolts that goes through rear bushes are ment to be replaced because vw says to turque upto 70 nm and then 90degreees(very thight) ' date='sounds like a strech bolt ?[/quote']

no, its not absolutly necessary to replace (info from bentley manual), but i did anyway (as i do with every bolt i replace)

I need to mine so need loads of advice as well.

Anyone got an idiots guide?

ok' date=' you don't have to remove the beam completely, its easy enough without. with one exception...

the prob i had was that to remove the pivot bolt from the nearside bus you have to remove the bias valve (tho late ones may not have this) and the bolts wouldn't undo, then rounded. you can't get enough access to drill the bolts, so we had to cut the valve off and replace it. the best thing to do is try this first, befoe you go to the effort of doing the other side (like i did, and then had the prob that the beam with new bush, wouldn't line up, so had to move bracket - but hopefully you'll never get into that big a mess!).

the brake hoses, can be 'pursuaded' out the way, so you don't [i']have to remove them. i put the car on stands, then supported the beam with a trolley jack or two (so as not to strain the hoses). once you have the beam hanging down( you may need to remove the bottom strut bolt to allow it some freedom), you have to remove the old bush. the o.e. bush has an outer metal sleeve, and inner metal sleeve, and rubber in between. i drilled through the rubber, all around the inner sleeve, then hammered teh sleeve out. i then took a hacksaw, removed the blade put the blade thorugh the centre of the remaining bit of the bush, then sawed up towards the beam, throgh the outer sleeve. i didn't have to saw all the way through, just about three quarters, i then hammered a screwdriver between the beam and the outer sleeve until it was kinked, then hammered it out.

then you put loads of copper grease on the new bush an insert the poly part of it. then hammer in the new centre sleve. then do the other side and refit the beam.

two important points for your information. firstly, i would check every thing undoes before you start removing the old bush, as this is the point of no return! and also, you'll have to get powerflex bushes as, despite whats written in their catalogue and what they say, tthe polysport ones from raldes only fit the non-plus axle mkIII's (ones with 4 stud wheels).

shame as polysport cost £20, and powerlfex £60.

ughhhhhhh nasty evil rear axle bushes mine were a complete sh1t to change on my mkIII Gti one of my mates done it and he had my car a whole weekend cause they were such a bugger to change :-( IMO poly bushes are awful and I would never put them on my Vr they ruined my mkIII's handling something chronic but I' will state it is only my opinion casue I know some people like them ;-)

i just realised the title of the thread says wichbone bushes, all my above replies are about rear beam bushes!

if you just wanna do wishbone bushes, its easier to buy new wishbones from vag (already fitted with bushes, £50 each), i'd get new ball joints (£15 each). i've haerd the copies are poor, so best get o.e.

i know what clares tryin to get at, they do make the rida a bit harsher/noisier. i did think they improved handling tho, but if i were doin it agin (and could afford it) i'd get new o.e. wishbones, and get vw to fit new o.e. rear beam bushes (you cant do it at home)

just got it tracked & oil change ,labour only $15

apd:

there is a cheat.unbolt engine mounts,then jack-up engine via a piece of wood.this will give access to retract bolt behind the sump.dont forget to lift the bonnet!

its easyer to take off sump!

Right - Stop right there!

We''ll have no crap advice being given on this forum!! ;)

Take off the sump?

So you are under the car on your back, trying to undo, what, the best part of 26 bolts instead of just the 3 for the engine mounts? Maybe also having to drain the oil out first, potentially ruining the sump gasket in the process, potentially contaminating your precious Mobil 1 with bits of grit that are bound to fall into it on the way down?

What bizaro world are you people living in?

3 bolts versus 26?

26 bolts and a pan full of oil is easier? How?

Jules

Well - you open your gob and in goes your foot. !dodge :D

I've looked in the Bently for the method, and cant see it mentioned anywhere. Can anyone see it anywhere? The layout of that book is pants.

I've searched on the net, using Google, and all the sites I find say remove the oil pan!!

So where the f*ck have I got this idea from?!?

Maybe I'm just a bit cleverer being an IT Consultant and all? !alien ;)

Anyway, call it a draw! :) both methods work.

I found this site on gti-vr6.net and this site on the Corrado Club of America... both saying use the oil pan method.

I found this site on vr6.org which mentions both methods...

interestingly, I found this site on gti-vr6.net which says that Audi TT bushes are a direct fit into the Golf control arms - and they dont have the squishy voids bits... cool!

Jules

think both methods work fine, whichever you prefer..me, i think i'd remove the sump, unless i had new mounts then i'd kill two birds with one stone.

you're right, doesn't mention it in the bentley..which is a surprise as that books very good.