Possible Heater Matrix Problem

I was driving along before and my supercharger belt snapped. Before I had a chance to pull over the cars temperature shot up and steam started coming through the vents. Does this mean that the heater matrix has gone? I had this problem on a 16v Corrado a few years ago and the heater matrix was fine it was just the headgasket.

No i'm not running the car. It hasnt been turned over since the steam. I've checked the water (the small amount there was left) and there was no signs of any oil in it and checked the oil and that seems to be fine too so I'm hoping its not the head gasket.

I've got another belt to put on but I just wanted to know if there was any way of telling if my heater matrix has gone due to the steam.

If it was mine, check to see if there's any water in the footwell's both sides before doing anything.. also is there a chance that something has gone under bonnet, most likely from the water bottle, and your heater fan has sucked the steam through and blown it into the car from outside?

i'd chuck the belt on top it up with water and do a compression test just to be sure compressions are ok too.

Both of the footwells were fine. The steam didn't come in as quick as it did on the Corrado (instantly steamed up the cabin) so I'm hoping like you say there was just steam sucked through the heaters.

I'll get the belt on and do a compression test. What sort of figures should I be expecting?

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to this. It's taken a while as I have been waiting for a custom pulley from the states. I changed the pulley and injectors, put the belt on and went to test it out then as it got fully up to temperature the steam came back but this time with the water in the footwells too. I bypassed the matrix so I can drive the car. How long can I run with it bypassed? Is there a more permanant solution which doesn't involve changing the matrix?