Mag reviews on the VR6?

Please help me.

I'm trying to find as much as I can about my new VR6,

but I can't find any links to old mag reviews from 1991-1997. :(

Surely there must be someone who can help?

I've only found one so far, and that was comparing a VR6 to a Pulsar GTiR, and that was on a Pulsar GTIR site (my other car).

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

ive got a few autocar articles on the VR.....inc prior to launch a little comparison between the RS2000,Astra Gsi and of course the Golf VR.......as well as one with a direct comparison against the Mazda 323F V6........drop me a PM with yer postal addy and i'll try and get them colour copied for you

yeah i was interested in getting some reviews for the vr6's, but couldnt source any. I did come across one source that stated, "The VR6 is the probably the best 170bhp you can get from a car". I think a lot of peeps will agree on that one! Out off all the 170bhp cars, VR6 does come out top. For example Ford Focus ST170, BMW 325i, Peugeot 206/306 gti, Honda Type S, Renault Clio sport. (obviously this has been proved by some of us on straight stretches!). Theres even a few sources nowa days, that still compare new hot hatches cars to vr6.

[ Edited Sat Mar 20 2004, 09:11PM ]

[ Edited Sat Mar 20 2004, 09:12PM ]

I haev the first test from Car magazine in November 1991. They test it against a 325i and it comes out on top' date=' good stuff.

What do you want to know?[/quote']

sounds an interesting read..gotta scanner?

No! That's a bit high-tech for me. B)

The VR won the test but it was a close-run thing. The only thing they had to say that was obviously better on the BMW was that it didn't suffer from torque steer (obviously). Other than that it was pretty even, the VR being slightly faster and much cheaper.

From memory, they got good times from it. I think it was something like 7.1 0-60, 18.x 0-100 and 138.2 top speed. And that's in a new, standard car.

i'd go with those figures.

bit off subject, but roads cars take forever to get from 60 to 100mph. 18secs for ours. a clio cup race car goes 0-60 in 6.5secs (not much quicker than vr6's), but then goes 0-100 in 10secs flat (way, way quicker than the vr6).

i dunno, thiknin about it, maybe the info i've read is innacurate...they don't seem that fast (i've driven one)

they do have a 6 speed sequential box tho, you don't even have to lift the throttle on up change (and forget about the clutch), you just tug it back on full throttle. downshifting is awkward tho, you have to heel and toe (no syncro's) and you have to have the rpm's over 2k (which causes probs when you drop it into the gravel in 5th gear, you can't downshift!)

yeah i was interested in getting some reviews for the vr6's' date=' but couldnt source any. I did come across one source that stated, "The VR6 is the probably the best 170bhp you can get from a car". I think a lot of peeps will agree on that one! Out off all the 170bhp cars, VR6 does come out top. For example Ford Focus ST170, BMW 325i, Peugeot 206/306 gti, Honda Type S, Renault Clio sport. (obviously this has been proved by some of us on straight stretches!). Theres even a few sources nowa days, that still compare new hot hatches cars to vr6.

I agree with Amit. Its not the BHP. My Mrs' car has 174bhp on paper, but oh boy car is a lot more torquey. You can't expect cars to have their speed judged by the BHP on paper! :P

[img']vr6oc_files/public/mr2_001.jpg

[ mr2_001.jpg ]

• 8 years later...