Pipercross Induction Kit Fuel Usage

Bought a cone induction kit from Pipercross,

this one:

http://www.potn.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/pipercross_images_inductionkit.jpg

And I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, but I'm pretty sure I'm using more fuel than usual. It's not affected my driving style at all, same as always, I'll only put my foot down every once in a while, but even when driving normally it tends to use more fuel...

Is this due to the fact it's sucking in hot air from the engine bay?

Or could this be a completely different problem?

Thanks guys.

You do tend to see open cones use a bit more petrol cos the engine is getting more, and less restricted, air, this is the whole point of a cone filter, but with open cones you get horrendous hear soak aswell and you'll actually be down on power and using more petrol. A sealed cone like a BMC CDA 85-150 is the best filter you can put on this car, but new it's pricey.

People sell them on here every now and then and they crop up on eBay but they are still expensive second hand.

Right, so just to double check, the hot air being sucked in won't cause any damage at all to the engine? I'm not TOO bothered about the power loss as I really can't notice the difference at all, the increase in petrol usage is annoying... But not devastating as I only live a mile from where I work so I don't spend that much on petrol anyway.

In regards to the BMC CDA what's the sound of that like? I hear it's not much different from the stock airbox, is there a way to get a nice roar from the engine like my current induction kit, but without the loss in power and increase in fuel consumption?

I'll probably leave the stock airbox out, continue using the induction kit and just buy a BMC when I've got the money to spare. Just so long as I'm not damaging my engine...

Cheers

What does a heat shield do? I've never heard of one before, is it literally what it says on the tin? Protect the induction kit from the heat of the engine and sort out the hot air intake and fuel consumption? If it does then I'm 100% sold regardless of price.

Cheers

I think I've decided that I'm going to make a heat shield for my induction kit, effectively build an airbox around it that's got CAI's going into it, apparently it's pretty easy to do, and cheap, seems the best thing for me, was tempted to just buy a new filter for the standard airbox and just drill it out, but I really don't want to lose the amazing sound of my induction kit I love it!