Discs and pads are soon to be needed allround on my mk3, so now is the perfect time to be thinking about bigger brakes

I was wanting porsche brakes up front, but not sure which calipers I can use or whats needed in fitting them

With going for bigger brakes upfront, will the rears need to be changed as well or will the bias not be affected?

Thanks

What years your vr? The later ones don't have the bias if they have abs apparently. I've got s3 312mm brakes up front with ebc ultramax discs and red stuff ceramic pads. On the back I've got standard size ebc ultramax discs and red stuff ceramics again. I'm running 275bhp and have plenty of confidence with my brakes, even out braking mk5 r32's from speed. I looked into the Porsche calipers upfront but they won't fit under 16" BBS. I had to grind the top of the s3 calipers to make them fit my wheels. I needed the calipers, carriers, pads, discs and I made a spacer out of 6mm ally plate. Also needed slightly longer high tensile bolts to hold the calipers in place.

As Gaz said, if you have ABS, there isn't a brake bias valve so no need to worry about uneven brakinig. The 312mm brake upgrade is a very good option. No real need to uprate the rears as they only do about 30 percent of the braking. Standard rear discs look small through certain wheels so often it's more about looks than practicality. I went for standard discs and pads on the rear.with dimpled and grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads up front. Well worth the price in my opinion but there are various pad and disc combos out there that will work well. I have a late MK3 so only needed the pad carrier and a 6mm spacer plate. If you have a '97 model, it should be the same so no need to change the caliper. The only other thing I would hightly recommend doing is replacing your brake lines with braided hoses. Are you running big power? Charged or turbo?

Kevin

As Gaz said' date=' if you have ABS, there isn't a brake bias valve so no need to worry about uneven brakinig. The 312mm brake upgrade is a very good option. No real need to uprate the rears as they only do about 30 percent of the braking. Standard rear discs look small through certain wheels so often it's more about looks than practicality. I went for standard discs and pads on the rear.with dimpled and grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads up front. Well worth the price in my opinion but there are various pad and disc combos out there that will work well. I have a late MK3 so only needed the pad carrier and a 6mm spacer plate. If you have a '97 model, it should be the same so no need to change the caliper. The only other thing I would hightly recommend doing is replacing your brake lines with braided hoses. Are you running big power? Charged or turbo?

Kevin

[/quote']

I think the pad is actually bigger for the 312 setup even though 288 pads fit. You will probably find more performance pads as the 312 brakes are used right across the range e.g. S3, cupra, vrs, 4motion.

im not running big power at the moment but will be in the near future, so rather than do it twice id rather just upgrade now

I was thinking maybe Cupra A brembos but heard the leons need atleast 18s and the ibiza one wont fit....?

so porsche calipers arent worth it? Ive seena few people with the fitted to mk3s but dont know whats needed or which calipers

Cupra r brembo's have a 323mm disc and fit min 17". They are only on the cupra r so pads and discs could work out expensive. Ibiza are 4x100 so they don't fit at all. I wouldn't mind the Porsche calipers but they don't fit my wheels and there around £400! They also need an extra spacer to the 6mm plate that's around £100 unless you can make your own.

I think the pad is actually bigger for the 312 setup even though 288 pads fit. You will probably find more performance pads as the 312 brakes are used right across the range e.g. S3' date=' cupra, vrs, 4motion.

[/quote']

Definately more performance options if you search for S3 or equivalent pads.

Here's the DIY write up thread http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?216210.post

A pic of my 312's behind 17's. http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/spindat45/25102009704.jpg

the pads are identical for 288 and 312, the only difference in the callipers is that on the 312s the piston is a couple of mm bigger.

even if you have 288 brakes you can fit 312mm pads and they often work out cheaper than if you buy pads specifically for the vr6

I dont want ot run massive brakes, I want to run a 312 disc

Will they all fit the same way with the bracket from ebay/ or the US?

I know a few guys on here gave porsche brakes, was hoping some of thoe would be able to answer this for me. Want to try and get them sorted for inters

Ill have to see if ive got enough clearance behine the wheels. I dont want to buy new adaptors cos it took me weeks to get the offset that it is now

Theres about half an inch between the back of the wheel and the further part of the current (standard 288) caliper