Hi Guys,

I've just rrecently bought a VR6 and have noticed my temp light flicking on and off so I looked under the hood and the coolant was pretty much gone this was from just after doing 100-110 miles I can see it coming out of the expansion tank but not to sure wether its just a breather hole or an actual hole and the cap also seems to come loose which I have seen to be a common thing, just need some advice on wether I buy a new tank or just a lid or something else pleaase help

:S :S :S :S :S

sounds like the seal has gone on your header tank mate.once the system has pressurised up, it will try and escape from any hole in the system...

you can pick up new lids cheap enough... if you are sure the bottle is ok, then just get a new lid...

AFAIK the cap should be secure and not come loose easily :)

Pete

what happens is there can sometimes be a crack in the head where the water actually comes out from your exhaust, no other signs besides the magical disappearance of water, that's what happened to mine last time around.....

or have a leakage test done, should be cheap to see where the water is running from...

Yeah I would try a new cap first. Get one of the blue ones from VW.

If it's still leaking, it's sadly doing it's job and venting the excess pressure (otherwise your hoses and plastics would explode apart!) and you still have a problem.

A split hose / stat housing / crack pipe etc can introduce air into the system, so an air lock is the best case scenario. Split head gasket is the worse case I reckon :-(