3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rats and a VR6 it's a family thing! :-)

When I bought our 97 5dr VR for the princely sum of £350 it was with the intention of it being a family project (well at least that seemed like a good excuse to get my other half to agree with me spending the money on it :-))

1296429034_12871_FT0_front.jpg

The car came with no MOT, but very tidy bodywork, good leather interior, an intermitant ABS light and 2 bald front tyres. The engine and gearbox are really sweet and I love the polished team dynamics 17 inch wheels so all in all it seemed like quite a good platform for a project

1296429378_12871_FT0_front_drivers_side.jpg

As this is the 3rd car we have, the only place to put it is at the end of the garden, so time for some child labour laying some flags to put it on

1296430454_12871_FT419562_kids_slads_.jpg

Any way, back to the car. The first job is to get it through its MOT. Dropped on 4 almost new tyres on ebay for £90, they're only cheapies, but they'll do the job for now, then it should just be a matter of new pads and discs all around and sort the ABS light.

Whilst im sorting the brakes i'm going to do the bearings and seals at the back end at the same time, also replacing the ABS sensors and rings, its a cheap job and if they arent the cause of the ABS light it wont do any harm to have nice new ones on there

At some point further down the line the car will have a turbo, but I want to get the brakes and handling spot on first, no point making it go faster if it wont stop or go around corners. Once the MOT and tax is sorted i'm going to run it for a little while to shake the car down, it hasnt been on the road for nearly 6 months, so want to get the car right before tinkering with it

The first proper mod i want to do is uprate the brakes, so i'm hoping that you guys and gals might be able to offer some suggestions on what is the best way to do this. At some point I'm hoping to have a lot of power going through the wheels so want to get as much stopping power as pos. Am I better off going for an off the shelf big brake conversion, or using calipers etc from a different car i.e. a TT or R32, i'm looking to keep the 17inch wheels on that I have. I'd be gratefull for any suggestions, thanks

312s will do a perfectly good job for ya. I have them on the VR and never gave me any problems' date=' tho i was running em with EBC yellows as well so stopped very well.

Yours being a P reg makes it a very easy swap

[/quote']

Cheers craggsy, does that mean changing the calipers or putting a bracket in to cover the difference?