Short runner intake manifold advice

I've often thought about using the lower half of a schrick as the base for a shorty intake for it's balanced runner lengths. Although the ally quality is sheet compared to VW's, so it may not tig up that well.

As always, if you're subjecting OE parts to welding, make sure it you get it skimmed afterwards to ensure the mating surfaces are flat.

Yip, it's a good idea to get it checked.

A fellow VRT chap I know made his own shortcake with the stock lower half and he had no end of running issues with it. Turned out in the end to be a warped mating face because of the welding, so the intake gasket didn't seal properly on 2 cylinders. He got it skimmed flat again and it's been spot on since.

Ah ok! Will skim it when it's made :) will post up some pictures once it's made :) should I aim the throttle body down so for the intercoolers? Or just put on a 90 degree bend hose?

It's up to you mate' date=' angle the throttle where ever is convenient for you :-)

[/quote']

Won't a 90 degree bend restrict air flow though?

doesnt matter mate' date='can only be trials no errors haha,still aint finished mine yet and i've got everthing in front of me to get it done,toooooooo coooooooold

[/quote']

Well it currently consits of:

A walbro GS5340 intank

Bosch 044

T15 turbo

550cc high flow injectors

Tial 38 waste gate

Custom down pipe

4" maf housing

Apexi avcr electronic boost controller

Decompression plate

Lightened flywheel

Arp rod and head bolts

Ngk race plugs

312mm brakes(yet to be fitted)

Intercoolers of seat Ibiza tdi

[blockquote]Well it currently consits of:

A walbro GS5340 intank

Bosch 044

T15 turbo

550cc high flow injectors

Tial 38 waste gate

Custom down pipe

4" maf housing

Apexi avcr electronic boost controller

Decompression plate

Lightened flywheel

Arp rod and head bolts

Ngk race plugs

312mm brakes(yet to be fitted)

Intercoolers of seat Ibiza tdi [/blockquote]

what power you aiming for?

Well it's my birthday on the 8th of may so aiming to have it all done and mapped by then :) then off to some shows, shame the paintwork is a bit off.

I have another engine which I am rebuilding and am going to make it 'bomb proof' with some wossner pistons etc and rebuild the head with larger valves etc from shimmel but that won be done till summer then considering a updated r32 box with a diesel final drive. Then might concentrate on how it looks, but doubt it :) it's an addictive bug once you start making it faster