Hi guys,

Got a problem with the VR, its currently sounding like a really loud suburu!! Best way to describe the noise of it.

The battery had died due to the cold weather, got it started this morning and took it for a spin and noticed that at first it was struggling a little bit when I put my foot down, after a few minutes it was ok but just sounded loud and rumbly, and when idling I could feel it was quite lumpy and shakey. Its not as responsive as it was and Im wondering whether one of the cylinders has gone or whether its just a big blow in the exhuast?

Sorry if this sounds stupid - im not too sure what I should be listening out for if its a cylinder? I lifted up the bonnet and it all sounds pretty normal, a little bit tappy but thats about it. Its just had a load of work done on it last week and the exhaust was welded up because there was a small blow in it, Im getting the boyfriend to jack it up later so he can see underneath, im hoping its just the exhaust...!

Any ideas?

Yeah it was left running for about 5-10 minutes before I took it out for a drive.

Well the battery died on thursday when we had the heavy snowfall, got it started up and left running for a while, then drove it about 10 miles. Friday morning the battery was dead again and I only got it started again today, so its only been left for a couple of days. Stupidly, I havnt checked the anti-freeze yet, but ive got an unopened bottle in the car ready if it needs it :-\

I had nearly exact symptoms a couple years ago. It was the coilpack. Not firing on all cylinders. Best thing to do is try a known working one if you can get hold of one before you buy a new one as most places wont take electrical items back for refunds. I think i bought a new genuine bosch one for about £120.

Thanks for the offer Calico, got a good friend who is a mechanic who's having a look at it tonight though - and in the meantime I get to drive a beasty 1 litre Daewoo Matiz whilst its getting fixed.

Do you guys think it will be ok to drive it 10 miles to the garage if its only firing on 5 cylinders? :-\

yeah i think it should be fine all it would be doing is back firing as the non burnt petty goes out the exhaust !

Don't forget that petrol will damage the cat if too much gets into it. i know 10 miles isn't much, but might use enough fuel to damage cat, other than that, should be able to cope with 10 miles.

lack of power, sounds like a scooby with a 5 inch back box and a cat that looks like you got under car neon's??

get the coil pack checked mine done exactly those symptoms coz the coil pack gave out after chasing a jag :) , unfortunately i had no rac so had to limp home 50 miles, ended up costing me 6 plug's, 6 leads, coilpack, cat and lambda, plus a couple of bottle's of de-coke as i carboned up the valves on the cylinder that wasnt firing right. turns out i seriously fried the cat, when i removed it the internals fell out the end lol