Best way to shed some weight

Right after owning an old 1.6 civic which had great power but no torque (180bhp & 117lbs/ft) I soon learnt the best way to go alittle faster after getting my bhp up was to put the car on a diet - I found loads of pointless heavy bits I could remove and ended up saving 80kg! (and acheived consistant 14.5 1/4 miles at Santa Pod)

What are the best things to remove on a VR6 Golf? I'll be removing the spare wheel and boot trim, was thinking of removing some of the sound deadening- anything else anyone would recommend?

Standard VR6 wll start about 1340kg, I got mine down 985kg, with two front seats and a full 10 point roll cage put in it. There is plenty you can strip out.

Interior: remove every piece of plastic you can see. Electric window mechs change for manuals, have a set for sale as it happens. Change windows for polycarb ones, have a set a for sale as it happens. Seats and rails are really heavy, lose those, replace with alloy mounts and lightweight seats. Remove sunroof and mechanism, replace with polycarb panel, have one for sale as it happens. Remove all carpet and spare wheel as already mentioned above. I never removed any of my sound deadening unless your going to race its just not worth the hassle, it takes hours and hours and hours. Remove all door cards, just use the foam insert. Remove seatbelts and pre-tensioners, replace with harnesses. Remove dashboard, heater blower, air con unit, glovebox etc. replace heater blower with all-in-one job from a vw polo. Get angle grinder, cut away inside of doors to suit but leave mount points for window winders. That should keep you busy inside.

Exerior/engine bay: Rear wiper, ditch that - useless anyway. Aerial remove. Aircon parts in engine bay remove. Stadard battery replace with Redtop lightweight job. Standard bonnet replace with carbon fibre, have one for sale as it happens (theres a pattern here). Front wings replace with fibre-glass / carbon fibre as budget allows. Loads and loads of metal brackets on engine which are useless, ditch all them. Is that enough?

airbags and the controller weigh a foookin ton' date=' take the passenger one out, put a light steering wheel on and remove the controller from behind the centre console

[/quote']

same as my civic then, i remember being well surprised by the weight of the airbags.

ill be removing them then :-)