Which Cam to go with for N/A?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Spadam good point mate - im a novice when it comes to cars (a pretty good keyboard warrior though) and have no mechanical mind whatsoever.

When a set of cams are purchased - is anything else needed ie new lifters - or as spadam says valve springs retainers etc...

• 2 weeks later...

as far as the final drive you could go for the V5 gearbox out of a mk4 golf/ bora. they come with a lower final drive of 3.94. im not sure how much lower that is but im told it lower. they also have better tighter shift feel. and there are alot around with 80k. ive just picked up the box, starter motor and cables/ shifter for £230

after that you need to change the gearbox cups for 100mm mk4 tdi ones and after that its all bolt in :)

im also intrested in the 263. maybe we should sort out a group buy on the remaps aswell

The better final drive to go for is 3.64/3.68. This is found in the MK3 16v gearbox, or G60 gearboxes.

Changing the final drive of your existing box enables you to take advantage of having diff. bolts fitted. These replace the standard rivets that cause 90% of gearbox failures.

When fitting a lower FD, fitting a TDI 5th gear brings cruise RPM's back into check.

The better final drive to go for is 3.64/3.68. This is found in the MK3 16v gearbox' date=' or G60 gearboxes.

Changing the final drive of your existing box enables you to take advantage of having diff. bolts fitted. These replace the standard rivets that cause 90% of gearbox failures.

When fitting a lower FD, fitting a TDI 5th gear brings cruise RPM's back into check.

[/quote']

edit

whats the dissadvantage of the 3.94, apart from fuel? would it be good for N/A but to short for turbo?

i think all 3 of my box's have failed because of the diff rivets. the pin from one of the plantet gears always comes though the bell housing.

I guess its alway a possiblity to fit the 3.6 final drive to my V5 box if id to go turbo

mines now fitted. does 120mph then its hitting the rev limiter in 5th :(. the gear change is like butter. sooo smooth compaired to the last 3 vr box's ive had. the bit im most happy with. also feels tighter and quicker change

it does feel quicker and more alive.3rd now 80 instead of 100.. and 4 does 100 instead of 120.

mines just a toy but with the 3.94 it defo drinks alot more

what is the standard final drive then? sorry' date=' just looking into it and it seems interesting :P i take it the higher the final drive ratio the more responsive the engine will be in higher gears but then your obviously going to lack economy?

[/quote']

Correct and top speed.

Stock FD is 3.3x:1

3.9x is best for NA track use.

3.6x is best NA compromise for the road

3.3x is best for lowish power turbo

3.1x is best for higher power turbo

All with stock VR6 gearing and correct tyre sizing.

what is the standard final drive then? sorry' date=' just looking into it and it seems interesting :P i take it the higher the final drive ratio the more responsive the engine will be in higher gears but then your obviously going to lack economy?

[/quote']

Correct and top speed.

Stock FD is 3.3x:1

Cheers bud, i take it this is a reletively cheap mod? I just dont like the sound of being in fifth and having your engine screaming to change gear or is that not the case if you get te ratios right?

3.9x is best for NA track use.

3.6x is best NA compromise for the road

3.3x is best for lowish power turbo

3.1x is best for higher power turbo

All with stock VR6 gearing and correct tyre sizing.