VR6 turbo conversion advice needed please!!

Hi to all on the grand vr6 owners forums, my name is chris and i am after some advice, i am after a turbo conversion for my mates vr6, i dont currently own one but i am building it for him and its much easyer if i put a post up as i can understand it more!! lol, baisicly he seen many turbo conversions on here and after his headgasket going and me finding severe pitting on both the head and block, we have decided to get a good donar engine and build a turbocharged vr6. What we need to know is what kinda turbo would be good for flow rate for the 6 cyl engine and also good for around 250 to 300hp.he want's to keep boost leves to a min as he wants it reliable,

Any help would be great,

Thanks

I can fully endorse keeping it reliable but why go to all that trouble for 250-300hp? You can get that from an R32 install, or a basic Supercharger setup.

Going turbo, make no mistake, is NOT cheap to make reliable. And I mean reliable to OE standards, not just lasting a few months then going bang.

If you're spending that much on it you may aswell go for 350-400 bhp and have some fun! Brussels are dead set on killing off all the fun petrol engines by 2020, so enjoy it whilst it lasts!!

Ideally matched turbos are GT3582, T60-1 or any T04S style. On the smaller side we have the GT3076, T3/T04e, etc etc.

Smaller turbo = Quicker spool, breaks gears easily and chokes the top end.

Larger turbo = Spool where you want it, gears last longer and better top end.

Too big a turbo = Lag you time with a sun Dial.

And who can blame him? Turbos rule :-)

Superchargers are around £3.5K for a good Rotrex setup but it sounds like your mate prefers the character and power delivery of a turbo.

Stealth Racing do a drive in - drive out fitted kit for £4K. You get 360hp @ 9psi and scope for shed loads more :-)

[blockquote]What about intercoolers? If on a budget could you use a different intercooler say off a 1.8t mk4 golf? And just do the pipework yourself or would it be better to get a vr specific one?[/blockquote]

i've seen a kit with a saab intercooler but it was a big one,i would think 1.8t intercooler would be too small to handle the amount of boost that would be pushed/sucked through it,just my opinoin so dont shoot me if im wrong

1.8T intercoolers are barely adequate for a 1.8T, let alone a VR6 :-)

I saw a so called uprated one on my mate's MK4 GTI with K04-001 upgrade, hit 70 deg intake temps after 4 dyno runs!!

Ibiza Cupra TDIs have a full width front mount which might be up to the job though.

Stealth sell a nice size one but you also need to consider the car it's going in. MK3 and MK2 are OK but the Corrado has ballacks all room for a front mount without hacking up the front panel.

So that's why I went with a chargecooler. A bit more baggage to carry around but maintains the car's structural integrity.

Air - Water versus Air - Air has been the subject of much debate for years, but as Dman said, pick the appropriate intercooler for the job.

The hugest possible intercooler isn't what it's all about, but rather the most efficient one. And you also have to remember that your quick spooling turbo can become very laggy if it's having to fill a huge intercooler before any of that boost hits the engine.

• 1 month later...