my cars due a mot 5 days ago i just found out and i been driving about (i know stupid me) if i been caught by any traffic cam or police car what am i likely to face :-/, its booked in on saturday so i have to change my wishbones and tyres and 2 brake lines then i will drive it to the mot center, but now i know i have no mot and my car sitting outside work im super paronoid about been caught :-(

Section 47(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 states that it is an offence for anyone to drive, or allow or cause to be driven, a vehicle which requires, but does not have, a valid Ministry of Transport (MOT) test certificate.

The penalty for driving a vehicle that has not successfully passed an MOT is likely to be a fine, the severity of which will depend upon the extent of the offence and whether it was in respect of a private vehicle or one being used to carry passengers or goods. However, it will not on its own result in either the imposition of penalty points or a disqualification.

i had a chat about this in the mot center, your most likely to get a £30-60 fine, but if you were to hit someone while not having a mot your in big trouble, you cant get points for no mot unless your car is unroadworthy or you crash, of yea i passed and documents are up to date :-)

In addition to the previous comment' date=' not having an current MOT also invalidates your insurance which is also a fineable offence, also BOTH offences can ALSO be punishible with points as well as a fine.....

[/quote']

I beg to differ on the invalidating the insurance. All the insurance says is car must be in a roadworthy condition.

You can have insurance on a car without MOT otherwise how do you get a car to an MOT without insurance if MOT has ran out?

In addition to the previous comment' date=' not having an current MOT also invalidates your insurance which is also a fineable offence, also BOTH offences can ALSO be punishible with points as well as a fine.....

[/quote']

I beg to differ on the invalidating the insurance. All the insurance says is car must be in a roadworthy condition.

You can have insurance on a car without MOT otherwise how do you get a car to an MOT without insurance if MOT has ran out?

Yes and no. You can insure a car with no mot, thats obvious, people do it for storage etc. What I was meaning if you use a vehicle on the road without a current MOT then your insurance is invalidated. In a roadworthy condition means it has an mot, otherwise it's not road worthy!!!!!. Regarding gong to and from an mot, so long as you are BOOKED in for an mot, you do not require insurance to drive TO and FROM the mot test station, but you are only covered for whats called traffic act ins. If you have an accident, you will not be covered.

Sorry if there was confusion, hopefully this has cleared it up............

i had a chat about this in the mot center' date=' your most likely to get a £30-60 fine, but if you were to hit someone while not having a mot your in big trouble, you cant get points for no mot unless your car is unroadworthy or you crash, of yea i passed and documents are up to date :-)

[/quote']

Well done on the pass anyway.........now you don't need to worry......or do you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? lol