Screamer pipe......pro's and cons?

ok so apart from teh sound, are there any other benefits to fitting a screamer pipe?

Pretty sure i read somewhere that routing the wastegate pressure back into the exhaust system helps speed up gasflow in the exhaust meaning you spool up quicker? may be talking b@££@^&s though! most of my research has been late at night after long days!

anyone shed some light for me?

No its the other way around mate. If the wastegate vebts back into the exhaust too early, i.e. close to the turbo, it can cause turbulant gas flow out of the turbine, and reduce spool up time. If its routed into the exhaust further do, i.e just before the cat, then its better, but it must not flow into the exhaust too steep or it will cause the above effects.

Don't read too much into it. It's just another one of those internet trends. I personally feel 'screamer pipes' are ridiculous and have no place on a road car. It's just a glorified exhaust leak.

As said above, if the wastegate dump is routed back into the downpipe at a shallow angle, you won't have any flow problems, not that routing it in at 90 degrees is a massive problem anyway.

Lazy, LOL!

I decided from day one there wasn't going to be any screaming action from my VRT. I understand the theory of why some folk feel it's bad routing the exhaust back into the downpipe, but honestly, unless you're pushing for the last hp and running mega boost, it makes no difference.

Besides which, wastegates have always been routed back into the exhaust for decades, so I'm not sure where this screamer pipe trend came from.....America probably. All they care about is speed. To hell with all the smoke and noise, just so long as it's quick :-)

screamer pipes are gay, and used by chavs that which to draw attention to themsleves.

seriousy , they are painfully loud, and have no place on a peformance car.. unless has been pointed out , you want every last bhp. and even then im doubtfull off the effectivness

screamer pipes are gay' date=' and used by chavs that which to draw attention to themsleves.

seriousy , they are painfully loud, and have no place on a peformance car.. unless has been pointed out , you want every last bhp. and even then im doubtfull off the effectivness

[/quote']

Christ Jim, i must be a double gay chav!! :-)

I do agree they are noisey, especially if you've got it on a daily. I just read in a book about the routing of it, so might change an route them both back into the downpipe, to stop me looking like a chav! ;-)

You should hear my Tial 50mm when it vents :-) But it's more of a darth vader gaaaaaarsh than a chavvy Psssshhhtt. Big flow :-)

Agreed though, DVs can be annoying, but so much easier and neater pipe work.....

As for open WG dumps finding more power, it's like the Hi-Fi nerds who claim to get massively better sound quality from £100/meter speaker cable, compared to 80p/meter standard QED 79 strand, LOL!! It's all in the mind.

I keep saying this, but if you've got 400hp to begin with, do you really think you are going to feel another 10hp from an open WG? I don't think so :-)

If you have a 90hp luke warm hatch, then sure, 10hp might make a difference.

I loved all the whoosh, pop, bangs from my first VRT as it was new and exciting, but I'm more into refined setups these days.

• 1 year later...