Right just recently I have replaced the head gasket on the vr6 after I did it the car felt amazing and still does, however I now have an oil leak which looks like it is coming from around cylinder 6. Now I'm thinking worst case senerio is head is warped ever so slightly. But untill I get a good chance to look I am just thinking where could I go to get the head skimmed and how much am I looking at spending and will I need to take the valves etc out? As close to Loughborough as possible please but don't mind posting it somewhere.

Yh I tightened them all up in the correct order to the correct torque. The only reason I didn't get the head skimmed is because the car isn't overheat I changed it due to spark plug being the same colour ad the coolant and oil in the coolant.

Yeh I realise that now :( learn from my mistakes I found somewhere close to me that does it. How should remove lumps and imperfections from the block? 60-80 grit paper with a flat block of wood? Also what's the ideal thickness spacer plate for F/I ??

• 2 weeks later...

Most places will want the head striped- cams off, tappets out, and valves and springs off.

The cams come off by undoing the 2 m8 nuts on each cap, think theres 6/7.

The tappets just pull out, but number them so they go back correctly.

And the valves will need a spring compressor tool, and same as above, pair and number the valves and tappets up.

When you rebuild the head, you will need to lap the valves back into each valve seat. And use new valve stem oil seals.

When the tappets/cams go back in, use plenty of oil in oil ways and metal to metal surfaces.

Yes I have just been flicking through some old books my dad had. I think to put my mind at ease I'm going to get the head skimmed. Don't really wanna be driving to Devon and it go bang. Thanks for your help mate.

I don't think it's warped a great deal as it didn't over heat and there weren't any Mayo in filler cap or any oil in water etc I replaced it because I found my spark plugs were the same colour as the coolant and when I took the head off the gasket just crumpled. I looked through all the history with the engine and there were no signs of it being done before and it's on just over 105k. I should be able to take it work and check flatness.

Cheers for your input it does give ter people a bit of an insight into how much work is actually involved in engine rebuilds etc. I'm a miller/ turner by trade so I know how much time would be involved into having to skim the head recut and grind the valve seats etc. Once again thanks.

Cheers for your input it does give ter people a bit of an insight into how much work is actually involved in engine rebuilds etc. I'm a miller/ turner by trade so I know how much time would be involved into having to skim the head recut and grind the valve seats etc. Once again thanks.

As a miller/turner you wouldn't have access to a Adjustable Trepanning Cutter would you? need to adjust the centre bore of some wheels but as you'll know, cant get a 57.1 mill bit!!!

Unfortunatly pal only the bosses stuff for the ascari race car get made. I'm technically in the aerospace engineering industry and make parts for planes. I wish I could do stuff for my car an other peoples cars I really do mate. I had actually thought o buying a milling machine and a lathe because the amount of stuff I get asked to do is unbelibable but I'm sorry I can't help:(