• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Right, where to start....

Harry, in standard trim just wasn't going to cut the mustard. I had loads of parts from my previous mk3 (r.i.p) which were getting in the way, so i plan was formed, and with the help from my good friends (a.k.a my redneck buddies), Harry went through 'the change'.

A 24v 2.8l 4 motion engine was purchased from Mr Potter, 2mm headspacer, 4" maf housing and 630cc software, implanted into the 12v ecu from United motorsports, and various other parts were bought.

The plan was top secret, and to be accomplished by the Janspeed rolling road day that Bungy had organised.

Harry arrived at the workshop as an innocent mk3 vr6 highline, and by the end of the first weekend, he looked rather sorry for himself! Unfortunately, i haven't got many pictures, but lets just say Mark and Jake did a thorough job of striping him! And thanks to Katie, we had all the necessary parts removed from the engine bay.

TBC....................

And i let Jake and Mark loose with a grinder on Harry! I think someones got a picture of this somewhere.......

Anyway, with the engine and gearbox together and on the workshop floor, i had to come up with a solution to fit the mighty Holset super hx40 in, behind the 24v lump, to clear the mk3 engine mounts, transfer box, and retain the 24v inlet manifold... not that easy seeing as though the turbo was rather large!

fe1d13b6.jpg

3c11cd64.jpg

d79f980a.jpg

I used a 12v spa manifold i had, to get a rough idea of the space and positioning.

I had a pair of flanges machined out and set to work making the manifold.

4bf2dea3.jpg

79b7295e.jpg

Finished.

26fe56a6.jpg

a0f8fa7c.jpg

e654dbd3.jpg

fd47eaeb.jpg

More later.....

Thanks guys!

So, the manifold was made before this next part, as i had to check for room in the engine bay.

The engine needed building up with the headspacer, gearbox, modified head coolant take-off (to delete egr valve) and sort the front engine mount out.

Head off.

c4dcddaa.jpg

f4ce5f5a.jpg

a31f268f.jpg

b90b062b.jpg

Modified front engine mount bracket.

f133ee7c.jpg

0b799070.jpg

bbc0ca53.jpg

Then, all built up.

6c41fcf6.jpg

cd147969.jpg

37f31c79.jpg

The loom is a love child of the mk3 vr6 and 4motion looms. Which, in all honesty, wasn't too bad to do. Mainly because i left it to Jake to finish!! (And then i tidied it up!)

e0004ad5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Now where was i.....

So, as said before, Jake and Mark used a grinder on my car.. which made room for the haldex 4wd system that was to be installed, which was all donated for L5 GVW.

So, spare wheel well removed and blanked, rear of tunnel modified, bulkhead/tunnel opened up for the downpipe and rear subframe support welded in.

(sorry, lack of pictures untill i jack him up again)

I had to find a solution for the fuel system, which needed to be mounted externally, and retain the use of the original mk3 fuel flap.

I made up a fuel swirl pot, to be mounted under the rear seats, but also used to mount the facet lift pump and Bosch high pressure pump.

a707436d.jpg

fbf7559f.jpg

And made an aluminium fuel tank which mounts between the rear diff and the rear bumper, but also routes up the rear wheel arch, upto the fuel filler flap.

5ca39959.jpg

182e4561.jpg

f5f681c3.jpg

I'll add some pictures of it mounted under the car!