Scratchs All Over!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help me with scratches!!!

My vr6 has them here and there there not deep and more like hair line scratches.....I want a product thats going to tone them down or get rid of them!!!

Any ideas????????

Mate this is a whole world you are entering here!! lol

But they are what you call 'swirls' there are some polishes that fill them, such as autoglym super resin polish, which you can get nice and cheap from Halfords, then there are more harder cutting polishes that will cut into the paint to remove them completely, but depending on how bad these may need to be applied with a machine polisher....

All depends on how much you want to spend as in time and money to sort it, do you want a quick finish that will make it look a tad better or do you want to actually 'correct' your paint... with detailing it literally is down to what you want to do... then i can tell you the product to use. :) :)

Hi

you could try my technique

use touch up paint to fill in scratch, polish off any excess carefully with t-cut, then degrease with panel wipe and repeat if necessary until scratch is filled and almost invisible, works well for me!

make sure touch up paint is a good match, my loacal body shop mixed up a pot for me from paint code and its almost a perfect match, better than the halfords ones and cheaper at £4.99 for a good sized pot with brush included!

good luck!

Mate this is a whole world you are entering here!! lol

But they are what you call 'swirls' there are some polishes that fill them' date=' such as autoglym super resin polish, which you can get nice and cheap from Halfords, then there are more harder cutting polishes that will cut into the paint to remove them completely, but depending on how bad these may need to be applied with a machine polisher....

All depends on how much you want to spend as in time and money to sort it, do you want a quick finish that will make it look a tad better or do you want to actually 'correct' your paint... with detailing it literally is down to what you want to do... then i can tell you the product to use. :) :)

[/quote']

sounds pretty good this nat! Is autoglym the best for 'swirls' then?

Auto glym is a good 'quick fix' but it wont remove them, to an extent it fills them and gives a good shine, but they will still be there if you look for them... also it wont last long, but its good for people that dont want to put too much time or money into it.

sounds pretty good this nat! Is autoglym the best for 'swirls' then?

and so the detailing products discussion begins!

Autoglym Super Resin Polish (AG SRP) is not bad. Does a decent job - the polishing compounds break down as you work them, so its generally safe for regular use, but as it is a 'light' cut, it doesnt completely get rid of the swirls. It also contains a filler that packs out the swirls to mask them. It generally works quite well. Its quite a popular product, but the filler does eventually get washed out even if you seal the finish with a good wax (I seal it with Collinite, which doesnt give the deepest shine, but generally lasts for ages before needing a top up)

If the swirls are bad, I'd be tempted to 'clay bar' the car, get something a touch (not too much!) more cutting (not filling) than AG SRP - apply by hand or buffer (depending what you buy)... then seal it with a good quality wax and maintain the finish through good washing practices.

Everyone has a differing opinion though, and it all depends on your make/model of car (in this case its most likely a VR6!), the colour of your car, the extent of the scratches, and how much time/money you have got to spend.

I picked up a bilt & hamber wash/clay/balm kit for around £30 a while back. I intend to clay my black VR6, give it a very light buff with a super fine cutting compound (not sure what yet), balm and collinite it. But I dont have much time at the moment, so it will be a while before I get round to it.. and even then I'll probably just do a couple of panels at a time rather than the whole car at once.

Oh, and I've prescribed a course of Glipton leather cleaner for my grey leathers (more like a mushroom colour with all the years of dirt in them!)

cheers for the advice.

I say what my mate did on his vento with a clay bar and I have to say i was impressed by the results. I dont want to go mad with money but id love to have a day giving it a good go.

The bloke across my road swears by dodo juice at the minute so was tempted to have a play with that.

The swirls i have arent offensive so i dont think i need to use anything too rough to sort i out. Think clay bar is my fave idea atm

Can anyone help me with scratches!!!

My vr6 has them here and there there not deep and more like hair line scratches.....I want a product thats going to tone them down or get rid of them!!!

Any ideas????????

Report to The national meet in August....with arms fully rested.... and then do exactly as Nat tells you.... LOL

cheers for the advice.

I say what my mate did on his vento with a clay bar and I have to say i was impressed by the results. I dont want to go mad with money but id love to have a day giving it a good go.

The bloke across my road swears by dodo juice at the minute so was tempted to have a play with that.

The swirls i have arent offensive so i dont think i need to use anything too rough to sort i out. Think clay bar is my fave idea atm

Clay bar wont sort out the scratches.

You need a specific polish or machine polish speaking from experience.

A clay bar only removes the dirt from scratch's, stopping them standing out as much. As has been said, to remove the scratch completely you need a very good polish or machine polish depending how bad they are or as in my case a full re-spray! lol

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Try Autoglym paint renovator if doing it by hand.

If you buy or can borrow a machine polisher try :

Chemical guys 'swirl b gone' or

if you want the best regardless of cost

3M Perfect -it III range depending of severity of damage

Use a rotary polisher if you have no previous experience of one to avoid making matters worse although a VR6 is of the vintage where the paints were nice and hard and VW didn't scrimp on the amount of paint they threw over their motors.

Don't forget then once you are happy with the finish ( working in a well lit garage will help with this, you need to polish and wax the paint to protect it and STAY AWAY from any commercial car washes especially if they use the dreaded silicone drying blades !!!!!!

If you need a full guide just ask and i can direct you to some good online sites.

• 1 month later...

you need a good varaible speed buffer (i suggest dewalt brand) and a light liquid form cutting compound to remove the scratches. use a wool pad for this. then use a foam pad and a good liquid polish, and finally finish with a liquid swirl remover with the foam pad as well. hand wax with a good paste wax and your car will look amazing. all of the waxes and polishes/cutters, can be found at auto paint stores or maybe parts stores as well.. meguiars is a good brand to use. hope i helped a little bit