Hi.

I just bought a VR that had a Scorpion straight through exhauset on. I am not sure if the baffles had gone in the back box, but it was stupidly loud. It resonated very very loudly at about 2500 revs. At 80 pmh it really droned. It sounded really good on tick over. I took it off and put a Jetex 2 box system on. It is much more sensible noise wise. Really quiet but sings at full tilt. I did loose a bit of pull at high revs with the Jetex, but did gain a bit of mid range torque. Cut a long story short, the Sorpion was so loud I just had to spend 350 quid I hadn't planned on to get it replaced. I don't think I am a fuddy-duddy. Maybe mine was goosed though.

Do you mean the box before the the back box that lies across the front of the fuel tank? That one is a normal oval type box. I asked Jetex if they made a straight through pipe to replce that over the back axle and the guy was a bit arsey! From what I have read the Miltek is the one that most VR guys go for. Very expensive though. To be honest, the VR I had before this one was remapped, but only on K&N, everything else standard. The exhaust was standard when I got it and it was very fast, way quicker than my new one. I had a nightmare with the cat and ended up having to have a Kwikfit cat and exhaust system, and it was even faster!!! Looked like a Nissan Micra twin tail pipe though. I think the moral of the story is a straight through will always be faster top end, and more so with forced induction. But for light mods, any thing will be ok and full stanliess may give a little increase in flow,but nothing will be a massively better performance wise than the standard.

haha very mixed,ive got just a scorpion backbox (oval type) and it has a nice quiet burble on tickover,but once driving i cant hear it,and when i toe it all i hear is that k&n roar, and while im here the backbox i removed was a standard 1 with vw part number and vw embrioded etc on it, but its stainless ive never seen 1 before:S are they all stainless standard??cus personally i think its better quality than the scorpion,lol

My mate has a mk4 20vT and she said she couldnt hear her own car when I booted it haha.

When we done RWYB my mates said they could hear my mk3 all the way down the strip,

I cant hear much induction noise on mine over the exhaust. But mine just got the 1 box (back box).

If im honest its a little too loud so I was thinking about getting a quiter (de)cat back system, but I dont want to loose the tone its got now.

Id base it more on the number of boxes in the system and if you are running a decat or not.

I cant hear mine when i boot it due to the induction sound. Quiter exhaust and then a nice open air filter for sound only when accelerating.

HI guys, iv a scorpion cat back, 2 box(suitcase as referred to,lol and back box) came on the car when bought it. Its twin upturned (DTM style) pipes maybe 2 1/2 - 3" each,if im honest from the beginning i wasnt keen on the back box,just seems typical 90's after market box for the mark 3 if you get me. Anyway thats looks. Sound wise i'd say quite a nice muffled growl with the v6. My vr is daily and i strangly find it different volumes on different days,...different weather/air densities poss??? some days gives a lovely note under all speeds,even when flying,sounds fast...other days,alot of noise even when not doing a lot of speed. Sounds funny but i kid you not. Iv got a bit of blowing now which im not happy about,that does make it sound pretty bad,although dropping down the box when slowing im getting a nice burble.lol

Think really it comes down to what you want, if you like loud,like to be heard to turn heads go for it, if worried about drone etc louds of others out there.

But just to point out noisey pipes save lives!!!;)