My ABS light has started comming on and off it started on new years day, and now it stays on all the time ~:( .I had it checked yesterday on a vagcom at the dealers and it pointed out the OSR sensor faulty.

has anbody changed thease before by themselves?if so how difficult is it, and have you got any tips ;)

The next question is that do i need to remove the whole rear calliper and brake disc to get access to it &|

(i hope not!! taken that caliper off before when i changed the disc and bearings and it was a rite pain in the arse.)

and does the cable that comes off the sensor go under the rear seat somewhere :? .

I haven't replaced a sensor as such, but I have replaced rear discs, which involves removing and refitting the sensor anyway. And you're right, replacing rear disks on a Mk3 is a MAJOR pain in the a$$!!!

You'll be pleased to know that you do not have to remove the disc or caliper to replace the ABS sensor, only to replace the ABS ring.

Once you get the wheel off, reach behind the backplate that goes behind the brake disc. The sensor is near the top and is the only thing with a wire coming out of it. It's held on with a single bolt (either an 8mm hex, or a Star Head, I can't remember which). Once you remove the bolt, the sensor just pulls out (towards the middle of the car). About 5" down the sensor's trailing wire, there is a multiplug, which you need to disconnect. I think there are a couple of retaining clips for the wire as well, just pop the wire out of these and remove the sensor, complete with 5" trailing wire from the car.

You do not need to get involved with the ECU wiring under the back seat at all.

Refitting is the reverse of removal :-)

The sensor will only go in one way, so there is no need for alignment or anything like that.

Remember to disconnect the battery - lead while working on the ABS system.

Hope this helps!

[ Edited Thu Jan 06 2005, 03:10PM ]

I had the same error on my VR (OSR faulty), which came up on the VAGCOM.

But once the OSR sensor was replaced, the ABS light came on again this time Rear Left sensor. That was replaced, the ABS came on again sighting "calibration error".

Eventually the ABS ECU had to be replaced, this sorted the problem.

A rear sensor from the stealers costs about £75-80.

Howvever a ABS ecu costs about £500.

Hope your fault is a sensor and not a ABS ECU .

Good luck mate

If you are going to the RR Day at stealth racing @ the end of Janurary, there will be a couple of ppl with VAGCOM.

From what I understand the rears are a pain to do, I replaced the front one on my VR, and that was bad enough. ..

I beleive that that sensor should be cheaper from places like europarts or GSF.

Pete

My abs Light has gone off now and i haven't even changed the sensor yet. The wife was driving the car and said that made some sort of noise when pressing the brake pedal which has all stopped now and the ABS light been off for a couple of days know.

what do you think? it's just that it was booked in today to have sensor changed. Do you think i should just wait till comes back on again