After lots of thought ive decided to get rid of my '93 Clio 1.8 16v and look around for a minter of a VR6 Highline. As much as i love the performance + handling of the clio, Im fed up of it going wrong every week! :(

Is the VR in general a reliable car?

Out of interest, what kind of 1/4 times do the VR's run as standard and tuned??

Ive also heard about supercharging, that kits are available from around 2.5k? surely than cant be correct for the whole kit??

What Insurance is the Highline? 17 iirc?

Many Thanks

Dan

can't answer the other q's but yep, highline is group 17 i think, with the non-highlines being 16.

yep, generally they are reliable cars, unless you get one of the didgy ones like mine....its broken...a lot! and it costs loads to fix, so make sure you check any you look at very very carefully.

be aware that a lot of stuff (timing chain runner, bushes, engine mounts) sseems to wear out between 100-120k, so either get one with lower mileage, or get one thats had all the stuff done, or budget for it.

Hmmm, cant be anymore unreliable than the clio! x)

In the last 9 months ive replaced:

Headgasket, alternator, icv, 4 new tyres, oil filter, feul filter etc etc!

Not really expecting the VR to be quicker than the clio under 100 as standard, the clio just runs out of puff once into 5th. I want summin that will keep pulling! and of course wont break down every week! lol

i've replaced more than that in the last 6 months! lmao

but don't take mine to be the norm...most guys on here have no real reliability probs.

yeah, the vr6 will prob dissappoint at first....but find a clear strech of motorway and you'll change your mind. they need keeping above 4000rpm to go anywhere really...but you should be used to that from your 16v, though having said that the renaults 16v i've driven wond up very quickly (i've only driven '03 1.6 16v clio, and clio cup racer)

Dan!

Remember me? Nick from CS ;)

I've had my VR6 for around 2 months, had a slight problem with a mis-fire (very minor) as it only does it very occasionally when it's cold, apart from that it seems very good, feels VERY Solid compared to the last few Jap/French cars i've had recently!

Give me a shout if you want any help when looking at one etc :)

I recently had a Nissan Almera which i got rid of. After driving a VR6 for thirty seconds - i had to have another - really nice and smooth to drive, make sure you get the right car- getting a shonky one will cost you lots of money and cause loads of heartache!!! You get what you pay for as they say :-) IMO Try and go for a post '96 car if you can afford it. Seen an 96 N plate 3dr bright red 75k on the clock, completely standard with full S/H go for 3200 quid recently. It looked mint! I wanted it badly but couldnt sell mine in time- it went after 2 days of being on sale. Anyone here buy that car????

I paid £3700, 1997 Black 3 Door, 81k Miles (Standard) 3 owners.

Seemed like a good deal but i'm sure there's loads out there at that money, this was very clean and tidy though..... little things suggest a car has been well looked after to me - things like 4 Tyres of the same Brand/Tread, just the things like that sold it to me!

Highlines tend to fetch a bit more as everyone wants one, so watch out for late non-highlines. Some of them were specced up to virtually Highline spec anyway.

BTW, where in Croydon are you? I work there and live in Wallington, so very nearby!

Dan - i'm saving for a house now :(

DaveR bought it off me......... but stuck it in a Ditch on Sunday, pretty bad from what he's said!

I'm often up in Purley, my Girlfriend's family all live there so i'll keep a look out for you both!

She went to school in Wallington!

I managed a 15.45 quarter mile in my standard car, and i was told mid 15secs is about as good as you could expect.

Best price i found for supercharging was £3000 and i was told this would take power from 180bhp to 250bhp. Im guessing this would run mid to low 14secs for quarter mile.

If i was buying a VR6 i wouldnt be enticed with the highline thing as i seems there are pretty much identically specced cars for less just different colours. Id go for a later model without wheel arch trim and with colour coded bumpers, leather and i personally wouldnt worry too much about mileage, more about how well the car has been looked after.

Enjoy looking! theyre great cars i reckon and theres nothing to match them as an all round package for the money!

Find a VR6 that has been serviced properly and you shouldn't have any problems with reliability.

The fact that VW are still fitting the same engine to new cars today (albeit only in the US) is testament to what a good piece of engineering it is.

I bought a 1994 VR6 with 50k miles 4 years ago, put another 50k on it with no problems at all.

Build quality on the Mk3 (especially the later ones) is very good. At least as good as the Mk2, and leagues ahead of the Mk4.

If looking at Highlines, make sure that the Logbook states "VR6 HIGHLINE" as the model. If it doesn't, then the car ain't a Highline. Check the Buyer's Guide at the top of the General forum for more info on VR6/Highline differences.

I live in shirley Ben! So not too far at all,

The 15.45 1/4 sounds good to me Macca! The clio ran the same but thats mildy tuned.

So what kinda price should i be looking at for an excellent condition, late model VR6 with low miles? highline and non?

Thanks for all the help lads, much appreciated! :)

Don't pay over £4k for a Car with more then 85k Miles, try and stick to a Standard one if you can, but subtle mods are ok......

As others said, condition and the way it's looked after are the first things you want to check out - it won't handle like your clio did, it's very different to drive but goes great in a straight line ;)

I bought mine 2.5 years ago with 44,000 for 8K. Going price back then for a good one!

(Touch wood), if I didn't spend money modifying it, then I would not have spent any money on it at all, apart from the normal running costs (service, petrol, insurance).

It has just clocked 59,000 and it is so RELIABLE!!!

My wife had a Clio 16v before we sold it with low mileage (35,000) and it kept cutting out and the Renault Stealership were never able to get to the bottom of the problem!

Good luck on finding one! I'm only down the road as well in sunny Crawley! 8)

[ Edited Thu Jan 06 2005, 03:48PM ]

Not really expecting the VR to be quicker than the clio under 100 as standard' date=' the clio just runs out of puff once into 5th. I want summin that will keep pulling! and of course wont break down every week! lol[/quote']

I'd give u a run for your money up to 100 ;)

It'll be no more thirsty then the Clio speaking from Experience......

I had two Clio 16v's over the last 3/4 years.

1 - Standard with Filter & Exhaust

2 - Chip, Cams, Ported & Polished Head, Exhaust, Filter etc.

Neither were any more economical then the VR6!

Plus with the VR, you have the onboard computer so i think some people (myself included) drive a little bit more careful as it's gutting seeing the MPG infront of you!

I always wished they'd put an MPG Computer on the Evo just for Comical Value ;)

Not really expecting the VR to be quicker than the clio under 100 as standard' date=' the clio just runs out of puff once into 5th. I want summin that will keep pulling! and of course wont break down every week! lol[/quote']

I'd give u a run for your money up to 100 ;)

Your on! ;)

Any of ya gonna be at pod when it starts back up??