Camber Issues with fitting FK coilovers?

Hi all. have a set of FK coilovers for my VR6. Im new to coilovers.

Fronts are FK GWR VA/09,05 G1

Rears are FK GWR HA/03,06 G2

vr63coils013.jpg

Ive just fitted the fronts, and went on fine.

Problem is the camber, the fronts are leaning out buy about an inch, when car is on the ground

vr63coils012.jpg

And although the top mounts are done up fully, there is a gap between the strut top body and the rubber mounts.

vr63coils014.jpg

I have no instructions with the coilovers, so have assumed I can use the O.E top mounts. Is this not the case. Have been on the fk website but no info at all available there. Im also assuming the 2 spring set up is correct.

And to finish it off, as well as the camber, the front is now majorly towing out even tho ive made no changes to anything other than swap the struts for the coils.

Majorly confused. Whats worse is im a competent mechanic, yet this has totally stumped me :S

This is how to adjust camber:

take off front wheel

look at the strut there are 2bolts at the bottom of the strut undo them asmall bit so it moves around

pull or push on the brake disc it depends on witch way your camber is leaning.

inwords at the top of the wheel pull brake disc out at the top hold and do up the nuts or

leaning out at the top pull brake disc towords you at the bottom hold and do up the nuts

test drive to let the springs set and recheck camber redo if you need to...

You will then want to get your tracking done... Hope that helps!!

1272532047_8829_FT360597_triple_c_diagram.jpg

Ive not got the vr with me today, i drove the mk2... (wish i hadnt - checked my water when i got to work to find out i have no cap on my water bottle!! doh!) so the vr is at home, but you can see it in this pic... mine has been through mot like this no problem... its just how they are

1272532397_8829_FT360597_030820092201_.jpg

Ar that makes sence.

I did notice the top hole on the coil is oval shaped. Just didnt assume it was for camber, wouldnt have thought it would allow for 6" of total travel.

Seems a very crude design for a german car...Its very hit and miss. think i'll start camber fully in and tweak from there.

So the only issue still concerning me is that gap at the top, well not me, but worries about MOT time.

Right air gun out, and wheels off time.

Thanks Nat for the quick response.

No problem.... hope it helps and just use Auto aid for your MOT (where the Esso is at Eight Ash Green) its close to you and the guy there is Jim Potters brother in law so he knows the VRs well... he will know that's how they're meant to be... :)

Its not inches of movement its degrees, neutral, 3 degrees pos or 3 degrees neg

Ar that makes sence.

I did notice the top hole on the coil is oval shaped. Just didnt assume it was for camber' date=' wouldnt have thought it would allow for 6" of total travel.

Seems a very crude design for a german car...Its very hit and miss. think i'll start camber fully in and tweak from there.

So the only issue still concerning me is that gap at the top, well not me, but worries about MOT time.

[/quote']

Its not inches of movement its degrees' date=' neutral, 3 degrees pos or 3 degrees neg

Ar that makes sence.

I did notice the top hole on the coil is oval shaped. Just didnt assume it was for camber, wouldnt have thought it would allow for 6" of total travel.

lol. sory its my tiny computer screen, looked like a ".

Thanks for everyones input.

Ar that makes sence.

I did notice the top hole on the coil is oval shaped. Just didnt assume it was for camber' date=' wouldnt have thought it would allow for 6" of total travel.

[/quote']

it is a crude system but you can buy a camber angle gauge so you can get the camber spot on

i am glad i have found this post i have just fitted some fk streets to my vr' date=' whats the best way to set them up??? thanx

[/quote']

Take it to a garage/tyre place that does laser alignment and get them to set it up, set the ride height you want first because futher adjustments will affect the camber/alignment should cost around £50

i fitted some FK coilovers to my vr6 and had the same problem ! the top mounts are ment to be raised up a bit and when i set the camber i loosened off the 2 bolts and pulled it as far out as it would go and then push it in a little bit and it wa fine. its just a pain in the arse as you have got to keep fitting the wheel and take it off again to get it right !