Exhausts - Measured Performance Improvements from US

Somehow, not sure how, I stumbled across this evaluation of aftermarket exhausts. It has been done by a US journal and for the US Mk4 VR6 and is dated 2004. BUT they have rolling roaded a load of exhausts, all on the same car (mission!!) to see how much difference they make to power and torque compared to a standard set up. A lot of the makes are foreign to us here. However some are available here.

It is a really thorough and informative test. The test shows the power and torque curves for each exhaust and improvement over standard. They all produce improved bhp and torque.

http://www.newdimensions.com/00_global/06_med/articles/2004-12/index.asp

Interestingly, the Jetex comes out top. The Jetex brings peak torque back a few thousand rpm (good for driveability and fuel consumption) and increases it by a chunk - 12 lb/ft. It also adds adds about 9 bhp. They have not tested the Milltek unfortunately.

The standard US cars are pretty flacid. Generally it seems on US spec cars that they do increase power and torque but maybe not as much as on our UK cars as on the strangled US ones?

Hope this is useful and informs the exhaust debate!! Thoughts?

Did you take a look? Pretty thorough assesmnet I thought. I'm saving up for a 2 box Jetex for my Golf. My son has one on a VR6 Corrado and it sounds great and has improved throttle response. Quiet and nice discreet deep throb on tickover and at low revs, under small throttle, nice howl when at full chat. Went on great - not sure why the Yanks are whining about fitment? His went on really easy.

I am very impressed and I don't have one yet.

What's interesting about that is the Magnaflow is 2.25" and the others are 2.5", but ultimately that will prove restrictive once forced induction gets involved.

Good to see the Techtonics gets a good score because I really rate it and it sounds so subtle. Shame they didn't send the Borla muffler version which is the one I use, but it still did well. It's quieter than the Jetex by a long margin and has demonstrated ample flow in my turbo application.