I think my clutch has had it, it stank on the way home from work & its all revs and not much speed. It goes in & out off gear no problem at all, just takes a while to disengage only started happening since I spent £600 on fitting a new gearbox. I had a clutch go before on a different car & it was a bitch to get in to gear different to this. Anyone else had this problem? Does it need adjusting or a new clutch? Its only two years old. Anyone know a cheaper supplier than GSF or Euro?

x) B) !ill &|

You can have either a dragging clutch or a slipping clutch (or a normal clutch!), slippage can be caused by a worn out clutch plate, dragging can be caused by incorrect adjustment. I'd get someone to take a look me thinks.

Andy' date=' you live near to me, who do you use to do work on your VR?[/quote']

i'm not a million miles away, but not close.

i'm in maidenhead, J8/9 of M4. i use tony at automotive solutions in sonning (just east of reading just off A4).

theres also designa dubs in basingstoke whihc is a tad closer. they're good, but not cheap.

[ Edited Tue Dec 07 2004, 09:22PM ]

Chris I always do things myself mate, got the manual, built a fault code reader and not afraid of spending hours in the cold with sh*gged knucles etc! There is a guy at Portchester with a company called German Auto Engineering, he's VW trained and very reasonable, I sent mine there for MOT last year, he really knows his VWs. He is one of the most highly recommended people on the south coast, on the Corrado Forum there's a massive thread of people singing his praises, if I had something I couldn't sort I would definately take it to him.

Im from southampton and i use Autotechnik all the time now - theyve always been brilliant. they are really into veebubs themselves and have a lot of experience.

I did use Eastlake Vw but lost faith in them after he buggered up installation of a head gasket and then made a hash of fitting my grooved discs and pads. He seemed an alright guy at eastlake, but i wouldnt use them again.

Got my Bill today for £333.75 I am not very happy! 5 Hours labour at £190, Clutch £85, A clip for my fuel line £1, a switch for my reverse light £12 and the rest is VAT! Apparently the friction plate of my old clutch was fine but the pressure plate was knackered and there was not enough spring pressure due to my springs getting hot because of the slipping, says its not his fault as there is no way to check the pressure plate just seems a big coincedense to me. Now has a Sachs normal clutch & I cant pick it up until Friday as I only put by £200 to pay for it! He said there is no way you can fit a clutch incorrectly as the gearbox wont go on and it is self adjusting so it cant be set up wrong, it just lines up with three pins. :(