vr6 - head gasket or not????

Hi. got a 98 vr6 130,000 on clock. started spluttering when raining/damp so went to put new ht leads on - bonnet cable snapped!!!!! took to the garage and they (somehow) got into it and put new leads on and ordered me a new bonnet release cable.

Car 50% better with new leads but not 100% so ordered new spark plugs. Took car for new bonnet cable bu they didn't get round to doing plugs.

Drove car from garage about 1 mile up the road when temp soared up to 100+. stopped straight away and called them out.

The garage had car 2 hours and when I rang they said it was the head gasket because they had done some kind of test and the water went yellow???/

Told me they would not consider doing the repair and would cost me a £1000 elsewhere and told me to scrap car.

LOVE my cr and now peed off.

Don't believe it to be the head gasket - or maybe I don't want to believe it????

Nothing wrong with oil. water in header clear. No smoke from exhaust. never had trouble with this car - ever!!! (apart rfom abs light!!)

When car hot the water in header tank bubbles like a boiling kettle. The top hose goes hard and very hot. Bottom hose cold and radiator cold.

Thought I saw a leak from header tank, but cannot say if wasn't where I refilled!!

Drove it to safe place today and was raining bad - car spluttering and making a popping noise.

Guy who had a look at it just said if I got it fixed it would cost me mega bucks and said he would buy it off me for £300.

This car has NEVER failed an mot. Never broke down on me and when running is a dream.

Any help would be great but if you all think its the head gasket any idea of value of car as it is. thanks x

oil and water dont have to mix to be headgasket issues

the fact that the coolant is pressurising does sound like an issue

However............... water pump could have gone, so I'd suggest whipping it off to check all the impellor blades are on before doing anything more

i am in south wales in the valleys lol. 6 miles from caerphilly. Yep I agree this guy is trying to rip me off and I am praying its just the thermostat as I love this car. My husband tried to put new thermostat on himself but his hands are huge lol and its such a small space to work in!!! Now don't trust any garage and I used to work in one!!! Shame thats 200 miles away as I would have got one of the mechanics there to help me as I know I could trust them!! thanks for everyones help and comments

New thermostat, housing and seals. Sounds like the thermostat is stuck shut. Start with that and see if you have any running issues afterwards. You can't condemn a head gasket because of an overheating issue. If they have tested for oil and water, your oil cooler may be at fault, not necessarily the head gasket. Don't keep cooking the engine and cooling it as it can warp the head, and remember, even if it was the gasket, it's a VR and well worth repairing.

• 8 months later...