Electrical Whine coming from the engine

Hi Folks

I have recently purchased my first vr6 and whilst I love it to bits it has developed a really funny whine coming from the head. When I first brought it my friend who is a VW nut said it was the lifters and suggested an engine flush with the oil change.

I have done this and since then the noise has changed somewhat. Instead of a faint whine its now a very loud whine immediately on start up and then goes into a faint whine and when the engine is warm it goes completely.

The only way to describe the sound is its like the noise from a ramp as you are lifting the car up for an oil change.

Now I dont drive the car everyday and when it is driven regulary the noise vanishes and then comes back. When its been sitting there for a week is when the noise is really bad. I recently did a 420 mile round trip from birmingham to newcastle and back and the car drove fine except for the noise.

The noise is also coming from the middle of the head.

Any suggestions will be great

Thank you!!!!

Hi guys thanks for the info

Its not the power steering pump as the sound is immediate when the car is started up. Will have a look at the aux belt tensioner as the car looks as if this was changed before I brought it.

Thanks for all your help guys.

All VR6's whine when cold. it goes once its upto running temperature.... just cold oil going through the oil pump. it just sounds like a milkfloat lol. as long as it goes after a few minutes of the engine running, nothing to worry about.

If you use the "find answers quickly" box there are loads of results for this type of issue :)

Pete

mine whines when cold then it go's away, then when its hot it comes back again. mechanic says it the aux tensioner or 'serpentine' belt tensioner giving up. they whistle when they're going also, sounds a bit like an air leak in fact. you can repair the existing tensioner bearings apparently or get a new one (about 75 quid excluding fitting). just a thought.