few things i need clearing up please (noob)

ok so i have ready the obd1/2 thread regarding knowing which one is which but i am either blind or dumb or both :) and i cant seem to tell by the pictures i have taken of my engine?

go009.jpg

go003.jpg

im also getting a slight oil leak and the picture below shows the filter casing??? covered in oil any ideas please?

go014.jpg

and finally isit hard to change the spark plugs and what size plug socket will i need?

any helps much apreciated thanks

obd1....its the same as any car for changing plugs just use the lead removal tool (should be clipped to your bonnet stay) or buy a metal one from ebay around 15.00. As for oil leak....? poss oil cooler cant really tell where its coming from!

Yes it's definitely an OBD1.

If it helps in the future, have a look at this (i'm sure you've already seen it) the 3rd picture of the top on throttle body.

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?138840

If you can see 2 rectangle things with water pipes on it's OBD1. If you can see a circle it's OBD2. That's how I remember as it's the most obvious feature to me.

Let me know if that makes sense and you can see what I mean.

Looks OBD1 to me fella.

Oil leak: I had the the same, it was actually coming from the sensor on top of the housing there. Never really caused too much trouble as was only ever leaking ever so slightly. Then one day it totally went. Think the sensor was £2ish (don't quote me as i dont have the receipt with me at the mo and it was about 6 months ago) from TMS. 5 minute job to sort.

Hopefully that will solve your leak :)

thanks lads,i think im going to clean all the oil off and change the oil and filter and then go from there with the leak,anyone know of some good spark plugs and ht leads to use? and are they easy to replace,dont mean to sound silly but should i change the dizzy cap also ?

oli when buying the new sensor what exactly do i say i need :) cheers

Best thing to do is take it off and get the part number. I cant mind on if its pressure sensor or temp sensor so if you get the part number off it and give VW a ring they should be able to find out for u. Or even someone on here with ETKA.

question to anyone in the know.im after a new expansion tank for the vr' date=' im sure the vr6 one is different to normal but they sure look the same,anyone know where i can get one from and if all mk3s have the same expansion tanks or not ?

[/quote']

Best bet is to order one from VW as you cant be sure a 2nd hand one doesn't have any minor cracks. They dont come with the cap so you'll have to order that separately if you're wanting a new one. If you currently have a black cap i'd order a new one as the blue ones (the new ones) are better and more reliable then the old black ones. Hope that helps fella