Copper head gaskets from the uk!!

My Head gasket has gone, seems it couldn't handle the charger, obviously i have been happier. I am after a copper or uprated head gasket from the uk. I don't want to get one from abroad because of the waiting time for shipping, is there anybody over here who does them???

Cheers

1) check out your Charger chip - is it the right one for your engine?

2) has the ECU thrown any codes, like bad knock sensor? Is the engine generally in good tune? Can you hear pinging?

3) is it over-heating? Is the thermostat working?

OK - above are the general reasons you might have a leaky gasket...

Generally, a copper or uprated gasket is not what you want. Your gasket wont have blown in the traditioanl sense I'm betting. You'll find that the extra boost and heat lifts the VR6 head off the block and allows pressure to seep into the water passages, either side of the gasket. This is laregly due to the design of the VR6 - having only 20 poxy stretch bolts shared between 6 cylinders.... thats just a little over 3 bolts per cylinder... holding all that extra power in....

I would invest in a new OEM Victor Reinze head gasket (~£25), and a set of ARP head studs (~£220). You will never need to lift your head off again.

Trust me on this one.

Jules

Cheers Jules,

the car was running fine in general, it has the right charger chip,it already had arp head bolts but not sure what kinda gasket it had. The thermostat was also working and not overheating, as for the ecu giving out any dodgy codes i'm not sure as it's not been on a diagnostic machine. When i have it put back together i will have that done aswell as a compression test. I'm well confused as to what gasket to use, i had my mind set on a copper one as designa dubs recommended but that might be just because they make a lot of money out of them???

ok - just read your sig - 3.0 litre and I'm assuming you've got cams right? I assume this is how you got 227bhp? Do you have a Big Valve Head?

If so, the chip you got with the kit is unsuitable - and is most likely the reason you damaged the gasket........

The charger kit including the supplied chip is available for either a standard 2.8 or standard 2.9 engine.... with standard cams, standard cylinder capacity and standard compression. Its meant to be plug and play. So even just going to 3.0litre means you cant use the chip.

If you engine has anything internal that sets it appart from a stock VR6 engine, then your chip is scrap.

You'll need to get a custom map from AMD, for example. £500.

So...... is the chip a standard chip or is a custom mapped one for the charger?

Jules

[ Edited Wed Dec 08 2004, 12:12AM ]

it has been custom mapped for the 3 litre conversion ,cams ,head and all but not for the charger. I was going to get it remapped in a week or so. SILLY ME!! I thought that it would be ok till then, how wrong could i be! I had been driving it for just over an hour of fitting, i gave it some real stick and then BOOM!!