HOW GOOD IS AUTOTHORITY VR6 PERFORMANCE CHIP FROM THE U.S.?

Any chip will simply overfuel your car and make it run rich, a chip cannot alter the ecu software, it acts as a transistor and stops the engine running as it should

as above get a remap, they are more expensive but they correctly alter the ecu software correctly and safely, u get better gains, better service, and it wont trash your engine

Jamesr_VR6

please dont advise on this subject if thats what you think.an ecu is a computer,the chip is the bit the information is on.so....you swap the chip from the standard settings to a chip with a revised map on it.you are thinking of the resistor mods commonly put on ebay,these are NOT chips for an ecu.a remap simply modifies the information on an ecu's chip (or uses a secondary daughter board to get the same result),the main difference between a chipped ecu and a remap is that a chip is more a more general estimate for a given situation whereas a remap is suited for a specific car,thus giving better performance,but usually for a premium.

Fair enough

But what your essentially saying is a "chip" is a universal tool mated into an ECU

Whereas the Remap is tailored to a specific vehicle

engine

Chips are a marmite thing i guess.

either love em or hate em,...personally after i blew the head off my renault megane sprot alize i hate them!!!!

It all depends what your after i guess, you pay for what you get!!!

A re-map and a chip are essentialy the same thing on a vr6 as you cannot flash tune the ecu like more modern cars such as mk4-mk5's so your left with the option of buying a generic chip with a pe programed map on it, or getting a custom map made for your specific car then loaded on to a chip. bottom line is either option involves taking a chip out of your ecu and fitting a new one

Thats fair enough, i mean im not making any "claims" as such between the two options, merely pointing out the benefits between the two.

If you buy a chip off the tinternet you loose the personal touch, service, and re-assurance of what your buying, plus its not "Specific" to your vehicle, you plug it in turn the key and hope it gives you the gains it states on the box.

Whereas a remap is a personal service, down in person by a trained mechanic, albeit a chip in the VR scenario its still a personal warrantied service tailored to your vehicle. you generally get to whack it on a rolling road and see the gains, the mechanic can modify the software to sort your vehicle and the other mods on it.

Im by no means trying to prove/disprove what gsracing pointed out about my confusion between the chip and transistor mod

but it still boils down to waht you pay for is what you get

correct on all fronts there fellas... the re-map better suits the VR6. The map is done on rollling roads so you also ensure that all areas operate effectively.

There are and I am not naming anyone... chips that are cheap and simply alter fueling for example... or more easily described as increase the turbo boost from the safe .8 bar to maybe 1 bar which will kill that tubi/engine in no time..

So getting a chip which is a good chip is another thing..

The remap is more expensive but it is the way forwards for these cars... as you are not masking knock sensors etc etc for example... and actually dealing with what the car has present in its' set up/modifications.

Yes you do have to flash the chip once the programme (map) is sorted, the remap also allows functionality of other ares to remain. An example being the imobilizer but the more complex/or modern the car the more they can benifit from the remap.

That said we do approach the C2s of the world for their help with the code breaking on the first time we do something needs.. an obvious example of a higher end programer..