Bucket lifters

When buying a new set of fast road cams, is it a must to replace the lifters?

I'm buying a set of fast cams soon, but I also know that a set of lifters will also put the price up by another 150 - 200 squid.

I can only see uneven lifter surface wear, naffing the cam lobes but would it only be slight or cause short cam life?

I was down our local Veedub place earlier this week questioning the same thing..

They said that i should remover the original lifters and check the tolerances..tolerances are very tight.. and nothing much wears. if they were worn, replace them, if they not worn they'll be fine.

Worn buckets come from crappy servicing.

The buckets can be bought seperatly. £9.20ea

Just me tuppence.

tony.

Always replace the tappets. For £6 each for genuine INA ones from GSF, is it worth taking a risk?

The shape of the cam lobes spins the tappets round aswell as pushing them up and down. If the tappets don't spin round due to abnormal or incomplete bed-in, severe wear of the cam lobes will occur.

And guess what? I've only seen that happen when putting new cams on old buckets :-)

I've got a picture of the damage at home somewhere, I'll have to post it up!

You can sometimes get away with it. Depends how old the tappets are and what abuse they've been subjected to, but personally I wouldn't risk it.