Rods and pistons..

I'm building my second lump which I'm going to turbo..

I was looking around the internet last night for rods and pistons and found an ebay ad from the U.S..

The price of these seems stupidly cheap compared to everything else I've seen but I believe its genuine enough...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eagle-Rods-Wiseco-Pistons-Volkswagen-Golf-Jetta-GTI-VR6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a3480454QQitemZ230372672596QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The lump is currently a 2.8 but I think I'll go for a 2.9 for the sake of getting a nice rebore..

What compression pistons are recommended?

cheers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rods or pistons (or both) will be chinese replicas at that price.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're paying for a brand name you expect it to be genuine.

Walbro went through a bad time with chinese copies of their pumps failing. They were EXACT copies, you could not tell the difference..... except where it mattered most.

woosner forged turbo pistons can be found at pec.com which is in Essex,and only take 2 days to ship from germany,a good price too and does a rod n pistons deal. i wouldnt go for that set off ebay myself,pretty much what Kev said bout price. also having an english fella to talk to is helpfull and not too far to collect in person.

try and keep as close to the 81mm standard bore as the more your enlarge, the more you weaken the side walls of the cylinders. 8.5-1 compression pistons are what i use (standard bore). no spacer gasket anymore as done it the right way and used low comp pistons and not a spacer, at 1.3 bar (18.8 psi) it makes over 400 hp and well over 400 ft of torque so more than you need or can use, when you finish your turbo project ,make sure your friendly with your local tyre man :)

I did some research into Alamo autosport or whatever they are called and can't find anything bad about them apart from an engine rebuild taking 2 months rather than 1..

I've shot a mail to eagle and wiseco to see what feedback I can get from them about the ebay sale. It does seem too good to be true but the money saved will nearly pay for the parts on my BVH..

If not, I will be going to pec.com...

I'm goign to go for 82mm pistons, not sure what compression I need though..I'm leaning toward a GT30 at the mo but i could stil sway for a rotrex

Brilliant!

I'm kinda new to the turbo side of things so I'm sure I'll open a thread soon with all my questions.. Like to have a go at doing it all myself. Built my last 3.0 engine so hopefully this should go all good

Cheers!

Whats the spec on your engine?

Brilliant!

I'm kinda new to the turbo side of things so I'm sure I'll open a thread soon with all my questions.. Like to have a go at doing it all myself. Built my last 3.0 engine so hopefully this should go all good

Cheers!

Whats the spec on your engine?

there are some cool peeps on here, who will give lots of info and help. if totally stuck then tonyvrsc on here is taking work on,and he knows all bout f/i .

the spec on my vr is.

brand new block- 2792cc 12v vr6 / k & n filter / 4 " maf & intake piping / c2 motorsport short runner intake manifold / rhd cast turbo manifold / garrett gt3076r turbo / custom 3 " downpipe / tial 38mm ex wastegate / drs radiator and double fans / drs front mounted intercooler / woosner forged turbo pistons (8.5-1) / h beam conrods with arp`s / tial 50mm dump valve / bosch 440 (green) injectors / 044 fuel pump / 8mm copper core leads / blue flame 3" twin silenced exhaust system / apexi avcr in car digital boost controller / shot peaned and strengthened gears 02a box / new peloquin lsd / new six puck stage 3 clutch / upper n lower strut braces and anti roll bars all round / 9" scmidt th line wheels / fibreglass front arches with vents / tyres - oh, you mean those black things that i change every two months,and cost a fortune :)

I love it when folk build an engine for boost :-)

Nothing wrong with spacers, to a point, but going forged and rods is the way to go :-)

82mm pistons will give you a Corrado block Mark. 2861cc. I run 83mm wossners in mine, which is 2931cc or something, but it's done over 40K, daily, and it's been a great engine.

Good point raised about bore walls, which is why my 24V turbo lump is staying 81mm, but I'm looking at using an R32 crank with modded pistons to make a true 3.0 24V, which will be strong for boost. If that's possible that is. It's still in the early research stage at the moment.

I've used 3071, 3076 and a 3582 and they're all bloody nice turbos. For me the big fella 35R is where it's at. It's got boost lag in all the right places and really hauls arse at the top end where I prefer to use the boost.

I was gonna go 044 pump, but 400hp is enough for me because of traction issus and a Walbro GSS340 pump in the tank is more than enough for that, plus an Audi UR Quattro / S2 fuel filter for improved flow and filtration.

What I like about VRTs is everyone's install is subtely different in some way and you don't have to spend shed loads of money to get 911 pace either.

lots of good points there Kev, 35r.... lol ,your just a big boost junkie :) :)

major one being at 400 hp you will have traction issues , some who run 300`s cant grip on some days. toyo 888`s are a big help ( jim and his 12`s 1/4 time prove this ) .

300hp see`s you with the 911 , and 400+ see`s you pull from the 911 :)

300= minor internal upgrades 400=lots of upgrades everywhere.

Defo a lot of people in the know here. What I have found with VRT's is that everyone likes different things and has different ideas of how it should be done so it does get a bit confusing to know what kit to go for and the best way of setting it up so I'm trying to get the whole mix and then decide whats best according to what I like..

At the moment, it's going into my Golf which is a tarty car which I do eventually intend on tracking but I think when it comes to that stage, I may end up putting this engine into 1.4 Mk3 and keeping it as a sleeper but we'll see..

The intention and reasons I want more power, be it turbo or rotrex is, must destroy my M3 and my mates 338/389lbft Focus RS in a straight line, must be bomb proof reliable, spin the front wheels and generally just be a bit filthy quick! As I say, I do want to use it on a track and I am a bit of a hard driver so over engineering it is ok..

My current N/A lump which I built is running 83mm pistons and as mentioned, I dont wish to use this block due to the cylinder walls being a bit thin.. It was a corrado lump originally.. With this new Galaxy bottom end, I will take it to a 2.9 just for the sake of having fresh cylinders rather than just giving the 2.8 a hone..

Isn't there hassles with the size of a GT35?? I'm not sure I want the lag, my friend has the GT30 on his focus and there is minimal lag which I like, if I'm tracking, I don't want any lag as it could slow me down or cause hassles when coming on boost.. I've not done enough research to know what turbo is best suited but from what I've experienced of my mates 30, it'd be perfect but on a VR, I don't know..

I currently have the walbro intank pump from Stealth, I plan on keeping that.. The S2 filter is interesting though..

I want to put most of my efforts into building a bomb proof bottom end.. Is there any mileage in performing any work on the crank?

The head I'm hopefully building to flow much better than standard, gasket matched ports, larger valves and uprated springs should see me right. Defo going to be a bit of a mission but it's fun and the end result should be even more so!

If I buy the correct pistons, I don't have to use a spacer gasket, just a metal standard width one? It's these little details which loose me..

Cheers

soz pal but if you only have 280-300hp then both those cars will still beat you, harsh but the truth.

correct on the fact of low comp pistons replaces the need for a spacer gasket,just get a decent triple layer metal head gasket ( elring do a good un for £32 ) . but ,all the work you are saying you will do with a gt30 will see you over 400hp anyway.then yes you will beat those two cars :) my crank is standard as are most turbo vr`s. i suggest a gt3076r with an .82 housing for perfect results.

LOL, yeah I guess I'm a big boost junkie :-) That's just how it worked out though due to losing my two GT30s :-( If something breaks, I like to move up a rung or two and try something new :-)

The 35R is a tank of a turbo, really tough and for me it comes in exactly where I need it, but it does depend on your local roads and how you like to drive. I like fighting with tailgating reps on the motorways and the 35R is such a perfect weapon for humiliating them with.

With my GT30Rs and standard head / cams, I would pull a few car lengths on my chosen foe immediately, but by 5500ish, the lead was starting to droop out of it's pencil and that BMW was still annoyingly in the rear view mirror. With the 35R and a big valve head, 263 cams etc, I pull the same gap but it just keeps going and going and going. My spec engine will easily spin past 7500rpm, but in the interests of lifespan, I've limited it to 7000, with a soft cut at 6800 (read, massive cloud of black smoke, LOL!). It cools the exhaust valves though :-)

Mind you, I've never run more than 13psi so who knows what the GT30s would have done, with say, 20psi, but I'm fairly certain 20psi from a 35R is a brutal experience and will cause wheelspin, in the dry, in 5th....which to me is a waste. Anything that causes spin is a waste of power and slows progress. I don't understand people who go for 500hp in a FWD car. A 400hp FWD would murder it, simply because it will have more traction more of the time.

Anyway, Mark, if you want to comprehensively and decisively smash an M3 into next week, you really ought to consider a big valve head, cams and GT35R, but that's just my suggestion :-) You can do what ever you like, that's the beauty of VRTs, the only limiting factor is budget.....

Cool, so I'll keep the crank standard...

I just want a comfortable and reliable 350 odd BHP if I was to aim for a figure..

My ebst mate has a mk1 Focus RS, so it's a 2.0, has had a GT30R on it since 7k miles, now has near 70k on it and still puts down peak boost at 24psi! It has spiked to near 30 sometimes according to his apexi!

My budget is kinda open really, what needs to be bought will be over the neat few months.. ARP's all round is part of that, it needs to be bomb proof so no expense will be spared, I really want to reduce the chances of having to pull it all apart as much as possible, for hassles sake!

I'd love to catch one of you guys and go out in one of your cars.. I've been out in a mk2 VRT but it was a bit of a pikey conversion and probably near the 300bhp mark as my M3 beats it..

Where do you recommend getting a turbo from? I've had a quic look on ebay and they seem to be available from alot of places..

Plans are

BVH, gasket match, schimmel 263's, heavy duty springs, SP intake, SPA RHD exhaust, GT30 but cudddd go back to the idea of a 35r

Full ARP kit, the above rods and pistons (2.9)..

I've got various bits from my current engine which I'll use, fidanza flywheel, lightened crank pulley blah blahh..

I just need to get clued up with managment, wastegates etc etc

Cheers for the info guys, realy helps!!

Has kevs says, depends on your roads and where you want the power to come in.

Where i am GT30 works a treat, theres no lag but it runs out power where the GT35 keeps going.

Im running GT30 with SP 263s , SP intake ,SP chargecooler, spacerplate, ARP bolts. 400bhp /380lbft at 1 bar

this set up would piss over mate RS

[url=]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garrett-Turbo-GT3582R-aka-GT35R-aka-GT35-40R_W0QQitemZ170353129922QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27a9d679c2

Check out the above link to see what types of turbo housings u can get.. They cater for any taste..

;-)

in Essex too, so you can talk to them and collect in person,also if problems you wont have to send back to usa at your cost.