VR6 quiz question

Hi all - my name is Dazzar, I am about to upgrade to a vr6 so I've been lookng about for a good one.

My question is regarding a car I found - it's an S plate car & appears to have black wheel arches which I was under the impression disappeared from the vr6 range early doors ?

Do you think this is a bonefide vehicle ?

many thanks,

Dazzar

Have you got some pics cuz even though the vr was produced up unitl 98 i thought it was only on an R reg... i may well be wrong, but also the arches only remained on the gti's after 1995.... Your best bet is to do a HPI on the numberplate and then you will know for sure...

well it def isnt a highline, thats for certain. highlines were only made in mulberry or black.... and i would check if it is an import cuz its def not normal!! haha... the VR6 badge on the back is different, its got the OBD2 side repeaters, but the OBD1 style arches and side trims, not normal for one that late, and they are saying its a 2000 model??? S reg was 1998 wasnt it?!

yeah me too... i have tried 3 number plate checks and it is not recognised anywhere, you're best bet is to do a HPI check on it, you can tx one for 3 quid it tells you the car, how many previous owners and simple stuff... if you are serious then a full history check is about 20 quid i think.... id def do it on this one! haha.

maybe a chat with the owner might clear some stuff up, the MOT certificates should be able to confirm the milage, and service history... also if you get a full hpi it will tell you a lot more... if you go to view, just be sure to check chasis numbers and engine number against the V5 just to be sure you know what you are getting.... but then i am extremely fussy!! lol

to be perfectly honest i dont know. the hpi check is a reliable source for sure and if it has service history and MOTs to back up the milage then possibly it can be wrong, just be thorough with the questions you ask and remember there are loads of nice vrs out there so if it isnt totally clear about its past and you want one with a clearer history, then one will come along. :)

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLKSWAGEN+GOLF/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236' date='N-50-54-119-197-240-4294966835-4294966886/advert.action?R=200937341694084&distance=43&postcode=mk42+9te&channel=CARS&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=GOLF&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2000&vehicleRegLetter=

[/quote']

Ooo missus. the one i was thinking about was red.

S reg with date of first UK registration 2000 is deffo an import. As has been mentioned don't buy if not 100% convinced as there are plenty of clean examples around. it's not even particularly cheap.

Well, I really like the look of the car - always preferred mk3's with the plastic wheel arches, guess that's the old school coming out in me :)

In the end, I didn't want to take the risk - I'm sure it'd be a great car but with the HPI miles not adding up & the uncertainty of exactly what the car is I decided against it.

I needed a car fast & ended up with a Mk4 150bhp GTI instead.

The reason for the quick exchange is that my Red Mk3 golf gti is going into the scrappage scheme cos I brought my mom a new car :)

Shame cos apart from the gearbox & one faded rear passenger door, it's in really nice condition & runs sweet.

So, if anyone out there wants to swap some bits before my bus hits the knackers yard, let me know.

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I better change to another owners club ;)