easy power

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, I'm using Schimmel's flywheel mate - http://www.spturboparts.com/aftermarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=16024

It's 9lb, so half the weight of the stock flywheel.

Lightest flywheels are the fidanzas at 6lb but they're ally and certainly with turbos I'd rather user a stronger material, which is why Schimmel's Cro-moly one is so good. Not too light, not too heavy and very, very strong :-)

Yes, the top end does take a hit with the G60 final.

Theoretical max with the standard diff and 17" wheels is 173mph.

Theoretical max with the G60 diff and 17" wheels is 156mph if I remember correctly, but as Pete says, at 145 the motor is feeling strung out and crying for another gear.

But how often are you going to do 145mph, let alone 173? :-)

Personally, I would happily trade top speed for savage acceleration!

P.S. The top speeds quoted above are at 7000rpm.

would you recomend the cost of the cro-moly over the cost of getting the standard one lightened?

Yeah that's an alternative method but you can only go so far with the stock flywheel. The Cromoly one is a whole new flywheel half the thickness of the VW one. If you take a stock one to a decent machinist, they might be able to turn it down in a lathe or something, but you won't lose 9lbs by drilling it unfortunately.

I would always use a new VW flywheel if doing that as they're only £75 exchange and a perfect mating surface for the new clutch, which helps the bed in no end.

i was thinking about the standard one being lightened to, but in some freak cases on other cars the standard ones have cracked and found their way out of the car through the firewall and kill someone :s

so go to vw and buy a new one, then get that machined, fit it, and take the old one back to VW for exchange?

Yeah that's it, I think there is a £50 surcharge on the flywheel IIRC, but you get that back when you take them back your old flywheel.

I don't know why they want them back because the one I bought was brand new, certainly not resurfaced!

And yes, I have heard of similar stories about modifying stock flywheels but I bet that's only in extreme cases where they've removed far too much material. Better to be safe than sorry and get a purpose made flywheel imo, but the exchange rate isn't so hot at the minute.....

thats it, if a flywheel that is made to be lighter goes wrong, then the words law and suit meet together, but if its an oem item that's been modified, then there's nowt you can do, although to be fair i had a lightened flywheel on my ibiza, a stock item that had been machined down (old one on the left :) )

seatclutch018.jpg

seatclutch020.jpg

seatclutch017.jpg

never had an issue with it, and it revved so much faster

I think I will email Schimmel see how much postage will be' date=' I hope they can mark it as a gift, had to pay 28 quid import duties for my ARP head bolts, but still came in a lot cheaper than buying from UK.

[/quote']

The options are:-

FedEx internation priority - 3 days

FedEx Economy - 5 days

USPS (united states postal service) - 5 to 7 days.

The USPS is cheapest and I've used all 3 methods and they're all good. FedEx Priority is amazing. Order parts on Monday and they're at your desk before 10:30 am on Wednesday. Costs you though.

With USPS, they hand over to Parcel Force in the UK and they flaming chunts slap on a "Handling fee" on top of the duty and VAT. They keep it at their depot and send you a letter requesting payment. FedEx don't, it's straight to your door and they invoice you afterwards, or ring you for payment before it leaves heathrow on the trucks.

Schimmel don't like labelling packages as Gift because they can get severly fined for circumventing Customs and Exicse. Labelling a package as "Sample" is another way round it.

I know some of these questions have already been discussed, but we are on a tight budget and need to beat these boys, any ideas, wher we could get creative? My friend and I have bought a VR6 Between us to go head-head with another 2 mates witha Scooby Sport-Wagon WRX (L-reg import)

We have a Corrado 2.9 throttle Body, RAM AIR Induction, Koni Coilovers, And Uprated brakes, what has been the best and easiest upgrade on the grapevine.

If we have the throttle body, does the Corrado Inlet manifold do anthing extra? Anyone had a Superchip and think its worth the £250? Anyone got any tips to take on the Scooby?

VR6 Rock on!

Forced induction plus G60 final drive feels perfect to me, same gearing as a 1.8T 02J gearbox. Some people will find 5th a little short though as the torque wants to keep pulling, but the engine needs a 6th for some resistance to work against.

But we are talking 120mph plus. If you're up there a lot then your license is on borrowed time!

Woah ! Just got head around this. Are we saying that a FD of 3.94 (G60) is good now. Sure I read on another thread that it was too short and us Golf boys should go for 3.68 (Rado). Or am I just plain wrong. Just ordered my lightened flywheel and will be hoping to sort the gearbox out next month so any opionions about this would be handy :)