Hesitation/ possible misfire

Hi all, I'm after some help please.

I'm getting a hesitation/ almost misfire when just resting on the throttle cruising, it will try stalling sometimes when dipping the clutch but mostly OK when sat idling.

Sometimes the idle drops and then picks up again.

I've vag com'd and replaced the ISV, another MAF, crank sensor, fuel pump relay and made sure everything is clean. It's still doing it though.

Has anyone got any ideas? It's an obd1 with vortech v2 and I'm not sure where to go next with it. I have exhausted the search option here, where most ideas have come from already.

Read fault codes again after replacing ISV, came back with Oxygen sensor, idle control stabilisation and mixture control. It does smell very rich too but otherwise runs ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

always in progress... always chilled...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Update on this issue... Coilpack checked and leads, all OK. MAF correct way round and new Lambda probe as this seemed to be causing my 'lean' issue. Not cutting out now, but revs drop intermittently when slowing down and still hesitates/ hunts when resting on the throttle. My only next step/ idea I have is a set of plugs. Anyone got any further ideas?

The only other intermittent vag com fault which isn't always there, was mixture and idle control.

I was having similar symptoms after I had laid the car up for six months, I was racking my brains to sort out the problem, then my mate suggested something really easy and it has cured misfire , holding back, uneven tick over. His suggestion was to disconnect ECU clean the plug and socket and plug back in... Sorted!! :-d

Cheers Nerve_Net, I'll take a look at that this evening when replacing the plugs and see if that helps too. It is better after doing the lambda as not cutting out now, but it's just not quite right.

I have got a similar problem. The VR6 I bought had been stored for some time (dry), I have changed the plugs, leads, rotor and all filters and fluids etc and is running way better, but it seems a touch hesitant and when going round right hand bends the power cuts out, not sure if this could be a similar problem or whether to start a new thread?

• 2 months later...

Right, update on this as could do with some help/ ideas still.

Still got slight hesitation but it's better now with a new MAF. Found out it was running lean, but it only leans off every now and again over 4k revs.

It's had a new MAF, Lamda, ISV, Plugs, Fuel pump relay and drive belt as found to be slipping on the charger.

Anyone got any further ideas of what could be causing this?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would add the latest reading from my plug in fault code reader...

I'm getting similar faults to items already replaced which I find pretty odd. Faults showing are:

MAF (This is brand new)

Low voltage Oxy sensor (Also New)

Idle/ air control

Mixture control

Also fitted a newer fuel pump as the old one had seen better days and a new temp sensor to cover a couple more bases.

I've also checked around all breathers and manifolds for an air leak but couldn't find any. Only thing else I can't think of is poss coil pack, but not sure why this would cause leaning off at 4.5/ 5k rpm.

Any ideas??

• 1 month later...

The rankcase breather HAS to be 19mm or bigger according to Vince @ Stealth. I had mine going into a catch can but the pipe was too small he said. Also, it might be worth checking that your fuel pressure regulator is 4 bar and not 3 bar. Earlier VR's ame with 4 bar. I had to swap my 96 VR's with my older one. If you take the clip out on the fuel rail and prise it out, it says the specs on the side of it.

Hi guys, cheers for the ideas, will double check my breather although I'm sure it's 19mm or larger. Never had a battery issue with her though and it has a 4 bar fuel reg, I could do with checking fuel pressure to make sure it's not faulty.

I just got back from the Nurburgring and she performed really well with no leaning off issues but still very slight hesitation when cruising on light throttle.

It's a lot better than it was but still there slightly!

Hey antihero1981... Plugs only changed recently and with the recommended ngk's for charged vr's. This still didn't do it. Plugs, MAF, ISV, Lambda, fuel pump & filter, coolant temp sensor, crank sensor, checked for arcing on coil pack, but none. Running out of ideas now...

Think there maybe a throttle position switch too...

Throttle body also removed and cleaned and a fairly new air filter.

Goes like stink when warm but slight hesitations when cruising.

• 7 months later...

hi, you get this sorted in the end? i have exact same problem! abit hesitant on start up, idles fine,but realy hesitant when light on the foot at around 1200-1700 rpm, new leads n plugs, going to replace rotor arm tomo to see if that helps, theres a dodgey wire thats burnt off on the hall sender that im getting looked at next week, would this cause the problem? cheers