Drained Battery - Alternator Okay, Battery Okay, What Could It Be?

Here's a sticky one for you guys...

Was planning to drive home from work but found the battery was dead, so later on that day the old man came and charged it up for us. Drove it home, no problems.

Planned to take a drive to Halfords the next day to test my battery, but found it flat... again, so took the battery out and got a lift there. The battery passed the test at 71%. They then later tested my alternator, which also passed.

What could draining the battery?

I'm planning on getting someone to look at why the engine is hunting aswell. The revs hit about 500 when I brake and go neutral. May be the problems are connected?

As Tony suggested a bad earth or a drain on the battery. Possible dead cell in the battery even though it's checked out fine, I've know it to be the cause of such problems in the past and a mate of mine who works for the RAC is always telling me the same.

It had a service over a week ago... filters, oil and plugs.

And, recently I've just put in a new head unit which caused a few sparks and blew a 10fuse. I've put some fresh insulation round the cabling and the radio works now though. But I hope thats not the cause of it!!??

There's no interior lights on and I wouldn't know where to start for a bad earth...

Having a electrician look at it on Thursday.

Got the same problem as this mate.Can leeve the car 3 days and the batery will be totally dead. Cant start it and very dull instrument lights.

Also sometimes its a weak start and then the revs build up to idle.I know its defo electrical and not fueling or spark as when my battery is on charge and connected to car it starts like a dream.

Just got a brand new battery and still doing same thing. Going to check alternator next but also want to uprate it anyways as iv got a 70A one but want the 120A from later cars.

My car also hunts slightly when sitting at traffic lights around the 500 mark.Very slightly,not major.My car has a decat though and thought may have been lambda sensor readings causing this though.

Any help appreciated.

Had the electrician round yesterday morning. He had a good look round and found 2 possible faults.

I've just put in a radio/dvd/gps/ipod head unit that I bought off ebay. It's an asian product and he told me that I can't hook the ignition and the live together becasue asian units pull too much current when the ignitions off, or something like that. So he's rewired that.

But there's still an unhealthy amount of discharge from the battery (ignition off). He said it might be the alarm which I've never used since I've bought it, ony because the last owner nerver got a fob when he bought it.

So I'm getting him to fit a new alarm/immobiliser system in a few weeks and take the old one out.

FINGERS CROSSED that will stop all the battery problems.

By the way I used Mark Hill Auto Electrics. Excellent guy, used him for years, comes to you where ever you are. Fixed every fault I've had and his prices aint too shabby either.

Well worth recommending him to anyone in the Lincolnshire area (Cleethorpes, Grimsby, Louth, etc)

Mobile - 07831773579

Landline - (01472) 503743

Nice one getting back to me mate. Iv got an alpine headunit fitted. Ill try taking that out and see if i have anymore luck with it.Try and just have it so i need to turn it on each time.

Funny you should say about the alarm. Befoe i did my conversion i had alarm fitted however i had it removed by an auto electrician.

How did he manage to tell you that there was a high amount of discharge?

Its really annoying me the problem so trying anything. Battery is new,was going to do alternator and ecu relay next.

Guy would know doubt charge a fortune as im in scotland lol.

haha yeah Scotland is tad far mate

Why did you remove your alarm?

He had loads of gadgets out, I guess he just had one of them measuring the discharge as he turned everything on and off. I guess he might know out of experience what's too much.

As soon as I get him to fit this alarm, I'll keep you updated as to whether it's made a difference...

Only removed it as i couldnt get the car to start after doing the conversion and was thinkn it may have been that alarm however it was my fuel lines back to front lol.

Kind of wish hadnt removed it but out now.

Yeah thatd be great mate,im going to remove my headunit tomoroow and see how things go.

• 1 month later...