Another new addition to the fleet...

How does it compare to the VR?

No comparison lol.

I assume that your saying that the VR is no comparison to the MK5?

I drove a mate's DSG one two years ago & it was very nice. Did not get my VR until this year so cannot do a useful comparison until I drive his again - which will now be in the near future.

mmmm love the mk5 gti .... and loved the flappy padel gearbox lol

rite place ur bets on how long it stays standard lol

Ha ha ha...

Within a couple of hours picking it up we had a mate who works for Volkswagen racing saying what we should do to it....

I want to say that it will stay standard and only the VR and the samba will get the mods... but we shall see

I don’t know if I can so a fair comparison.

This weekend has been quite bad round my way… some small event you guys might of heard of… F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone… so I have to say I have been taking it easy… and its done wonders for my fuel economy…..

The GTi is standard where as the VR has been lowered and the ride is very hard… I think a new set of suspension will be on the cards soon… as it starting to hurt…

I would say the only real difference is that in the VR you have a small break in power when changing gear and in the GTi it relentless...

I’m looking forward to taking it up the 1/4mile… then I will have some tickets to compare…. Book says that 0-60 in the GTi is 6.9seconds…. I have worked mine from timing tickets and it’s the same…. But I have to say I do launch it like a granny on the strip…

In auto' date=' the GTi is quiet… change to sport mode and you can hear the exhaust more… its got a lovely noise… but won’t win that against the VR

both cars are pretty close on fuel economy…and the VR6 is cheaper to insure and tax… [/b']

wow Abi that does look lovely :) must have been one hell of a deal !!

Thanks Hun.....yeah it was... weren't really looking for it...

we had other cars in mind... and the colour is cool.. but not my first choice and i'm not really a fan of 5 door cars...

but it is pretty much fully loaded' date=' with Sunroof, in built satnav, Multi function Steering wheel with the paddles, xenon Lights, parking sensors, Luxury pack, (rear reading lights, Puddle lights, Electic folding mirrors) 18" wheels.. the list goes on... how could you say no... [/b']

lovin' it Abi' date='

nice in the grey too :)

[/quote']

Thanks hun.... Grey wouldn't have been my first choice.. neither 5 door... but it was too good a deal to turn down...

I don’t know if I can so a fair comparison.

This weekend has been quite bad round my way… some small event you guys might of heard of… F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone… so I have to say I have been taking it easy… and its done wonders for my fuel economy…..

The GTi is standard where as the VR has been lowered and the ride is very hard… I think a new set of suspension will be on the cards soon… as it starting to hurt…

I would say the only real difference is that in the VR you have a small break in power when changing gear and in the GTi it relentless...

I’m looking forward to taking it up the 1/4mile… then I will have some tickets to compare…. Book says that 0-60 in the GTi is 6.9seconds…. I have worked mine from timing tickets and it’s the same…. But I have to say I do launch it like a granny on the strip…

In auto' date=' the GTi is quiet… change to sport mode and you can hear the exhaust more… its got a lovely noise… but won’t win that against the VR

both cars are pretty close on fuel economy…and the VR6 is cheaper to insure and tax… [/b']

thanks for the comparison - surprised that you said that the fuel economy is not that different. Let us know what you get on the 1/4 mile.

both cars are pretty close on fuel economy…and the VR6 is cheaper to insure and tax…

the first point i find shocking the second did grab me at first but on thinking I realised the replacement value is alot higher. What ins group is the GTi?

Lovely motor' date=' don't forget your launch control when you send it down the strip, it's a good way to get some good traction off the line.

[/quote']

I did read about the launch control somewhere... it will be something i will be looking into...

both cars are pretty close on fuel economy…and the VR6 is cheaper to insure and tax…

the first point i find shocking the second did grab me at first but on thinking I realised the replacement value is alot higher. What ins group is the GTi?

we covered around 100 miles over the weekend in the GTI and it was mid 20's..

The other half took it to work this morning... His route is a bit of town (2 Miles)... an A road (8 Miles).. then dual carriage way (10miles) and then 5 junctions on the motorway (25 Miles)... around 45miles in total and got 35mpg.... which is the same as the VR6 on the same run...

I do think the MPG will improve a little on the GTi... but we shall see...

with regards to insurance... the VR is group 16 and the GTi is 17....

I Insure the VR and the other half does the GTI

I did look into the insurance and if it would be better if we swapped... and it would cost me around £250 more to insure the GTi over the VR.... The VR only costs me around £300 a year...

It was cheaper for me to insure the 911 a few years back then the GTI