R32 INTO MK3 1997 VR6 obd2 help if you could!

hi guys i own a satin silver vr6 from 1997 running on obd2

im planning to use a mk4 engine i have lying in my shed with 19,000 on it

my chains sound fooked and need doing so instead i was thinking of chucking an r32 in.

wanted to knw:

can mk3 vr Vf mounts be used for front rear and transmission?

can i use Vr cooling ?

ive been told i can use mk3 vr loom and ecu and have the ecu rempped for the r32 is this correct?

can i still use mk3 vr air conditioning after converted?

will vr gearbox bolt straight on?

what other problems will i face?

and any advice will be MOST appreciated guys

harv

Someone on the Corrado forum has got a 24V engine running from a 12V OBD1 ECU, but as you say, it's got no DBW, cam control and it's not wideband fuelled etc etc....

Personally I would use the R32 ECU and run the engine as it's supposed to be run.

• 2 weeks later...

Im in the process of r32 conversion on my project corrado however i am using a mk5 r32 engine but most things are the same. Here is a brief rundown of your questions

1. You can use all vr engine and gearbox mounts aslong as you use the vr6 o2a gearbox

2. You can use all vr cooling hoses but you will also need to use the vr6 thermostat housing and water pipe

3. As already said vr management has been done but not really worth it, best option is either r32 management or standalone, im using r32 standard management and getting my loom done by a company called south west in car tech aka vagdoctor for about £300 which is a good price imo.

4. Im not using air con but i believe you can get the vr air con pump to work but may need to swap the connectors over or i think you can use the r32 pump with a bit of fiddling with the air con pipes. (but not sure about this)

5. Yes the vr gearbox bolts straight on but you will also need the vr flywheel and clutch

Thats the basics but you will also need to get an exhaust manifold made, some people use just the single vr cat but im gonna use the twin cats from the r32 and either get a manifold made or im gonna try moddin the original downpipes with a bit of cutting and shuttin to make it fit.

If you use the fly by wire throttle bodie then the easiest way is to use the accelerator pedal from a mk5 r32 as it just bolts to the floor and i think it will work with the mk4 engine.

Hope this helps

Great info there L55KE B

you should make a build thread as im sure alot of people on here would find it very usefull. maybe pinned like Kev's DIY turbo?

C2 - how do your d/p's flow compared to the 6 branch conversion mani that Storm supply? and also the important price?

On the engine management side of things, as said above it is better to run the R32 engine on the R32 ecu. Various emmisions systems can be turned off in these ECUs to make installation cleaner and easier, Secondary Air Injection for example. The immobilizer can also be turned off so you dont need to go through the rigmarole of fitting the MK4 style clocks.

im in the process of purchasing a dubpower 6 branch conversion manifold which will alow me to use my 2.5" stainless system these are the guys tht supply storm with their manifolds

my plug and play loom will be a made by a guy called Andy from ACR using the mk4 r32 loom therefore alowing me to use my mk3 clocks and im hoping to get it mapped and rolling roaded by storm

ive got new VF mounts all round

I'm using the the 02a box with peloquin LSD, lightend flywheel and 6 puk clutch

thanks for all the info guys has been very helpfull

really appreciated

harv