Coilovers and ARB's

well, every car can get lift off oversteer...just some require serious persuasion! lol

i like a car that is so tail happy that lfiting off will kill you, i like the rear to steer me slightly. a pug 306 gti is very good at this, you have to be on the power to keep the rear under control but that equals a very good drive out of the corners.

lifting the inside rear wheel is no big deal, saxo vts's and 106 gti's do it as standard!

[ Edited Tue Nov 09 2004, 08:27PM ]

Having a car that will snap into oversteer without provocation on the public road is dangerous imho - you need to have a degree of neutrality built into the chassis as you cant account for what is round the next corner forcing you to lift off and provoke a slide.

As i mentioned in my previous post any car with a beam rear axle will lift a inside rear whell under hard conering due to a lack of roll stiffness on the front axle and a stiff rear due to the beam axle - this includes nearly all the present day hot hatches - VTS, Saxo, Mk1,2 & 3 Golf and nearly every FF drive car on the road upto present day....

I for one set my cars upto have a degree of rear wheel steer - be it by anti roll bars or soft front and stiff rear bias on suspension set up - i wouldnt have it set for road use so that the rear will slide without provocation however - thats just stupid imho....

sorry, i said i like a car like that...i didn't say i had a car like that ;) i meant for a track/race car.

my vr6 is pretty pointy, but like any mkIII you can lift mid corner at normal speeds no probs.

i think you'll find it is impossible to get the inside rear wheel to lift on a standard vr6...its too big and spongy a car with too much chassis flex to do that.

[ Edited Tue Nov 09 2004, 08:46PM ]

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the price for the Neuspeed front ARB links.

Price is more than original quoted (what a suprise!)

£40 + VAT (per pair)

and about £4 for delivery.

Although if you buy them at the same time as new ARBs you should get a discount - or if you are good at negotiating a price ;)

Awesome have a few pairs in right now if anybody is interested.

Right,properly confused now!!Called Awesome to order the front drop links as they DON'T come with the MK3 ARB'S and they went away and rang me back after an hour to say that they don't do them and nuespeed won't do them any more and that i could get them from G,S&F!!

What is going on?? surely the G,S&F items are the oe items and thererfor not worth swapping with what i have at the moment!!

Is this information correct?? I don't want to keep calling Awesome on this for fear of sounding like an idiot who can't understand simple explanation!

Bottom line is this,CAN I GET UPRATED FRONT DROP LINKS OR NOT??,IF NOT SHOULD I GET THE NEW OE ITEMS OR USE WHAT I HAVE ON THE CAR???

Cheers for your help on this one peeps!!

Mike.

[ Edited Fri Nov 26 2004, 04:02PM ]

Mike,

When I went to fit the links that Awesome had sent me I found they were completely different, this was last weekend (27th Nov). I rung Awesome and spoke to Jim (originally was dealing with Dean).

Jim seemed to know his stuff and straight away figured out the problem. The ones they had ordered and sent to me are for a normal Golf, i.e. NOT GTI or VR6.

Jim said he could order the right ones and it would take about a week for them to arrive and then he would call me.

I'll see if I can get hold of Jim tomorrow and get an update.

Weird how you rang on the Friday before me and they said it wasn't possible - at that time they would have some in stock that they thought were right until I rang them the day after.

Did you get the name of the guy you spoke to?

Mike' date='

When I went to fit the links that Awesome had sent me I found they were completely different, this was last weekend (27th Nov). I rung Awesome and spoke to Jim (originally was dealing with Dean).

Jim seemed to know his stuff and straight away figured out the problem. The ones they had ordered and sent to me are for a normal Golf, i.e. NOT GTI or VR6.

Jim said he could order the right ones and it would take about a week for them to arrive and then he would call me.

I'll see if I can get hold of Jim tomorrow and get an update.

Weird how you rang on the Friday before me and they said it wasn't possible - at that time they would have some in stock that they thought were right until I rang them the day after.

Did you get the name of the guy you spoke to?

[/quote']

Si,no i didn't get the name of the guy i spoke to but i'm running my oe items now as they wrer in good condition,all i have to do is keep an eye on them in the future and change them when they need changing.

I've delt with Awesome for years and they have looked after a few of my cars,but this was when Jim was more hands on and Dan was the point of sales guy who would ask Jim if he wasn't sure of something.

It just seems that now Jim is doing other things and leaving the POS to Dean and the other guy the service and knowledg isn't the same,i really think twice befor calling them now which is a shame besause i've come to know Jim personally over the years and we had become good friends,i even still call Dan from time to time for a chat even though he left Awesome a while ago now!

The car handles TOTALLY different now and thats thanks to Tim at the Phirm,so he looks after all of my dub probs now and he has just as much knowledg as Jim so i'm confident when my car is in his hands and the advice is spot on!!

Cheers

Mike

Right then!

Spoke to Awesome again.........and Neuspeed definitely DO NOT sell the links to suit a VR6.

So Jim was wrong & I now have to return these ones that they previously sent me.

Still didn't get the feeling that they were 100% correct. I might try to get hold of Neuspeed directly.

They make links for the GTI as they come with the GTI bar (22mm).

Does anybody know if these are different to the links used ona VR6?

Has anyone got a GTI and a VR6 that they can put next to each other and have a quick look?