Anyone done an Eaton charged conversion?

Without sounding stupid here or menaing to hijak, on this eaton charger, is the Square hole where you would bring the air in, and then push it out where the current tb is, so you would remove the tb and make a plate over the square leaving a whole for a air pipe??

then custom mounting and the moving of a few ancileries?? and a map and belt.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/72van/Charger/DSC00114.jpg

Guys, We really need to figure out if it is best to run an M62 or an M90.

Which do you guys think is best?

On eatons website they say:

The Eaton Supercharger Model 62 is designed for 2.5L to 4.0L

And:

The Eaton Supercharger Model 90 is designed for 3.0L to 5.0L

Which do you think is best? as out 2.8 engines are near as damb it 3l which leave us being about to use either.

What do you guys think?

Apparenty the M62 displaces 1.00 litre if air pers turn and the M90 displaces 1.50 litres of air per turn.

Which do you think is best?

Cheers

Alex

I think the M62 would be better aswell as its smaller, but, these chargers will create a fair bit more heat than a centrifugal one like VF or Rotrex and arent as efficient, plus you have all the extra fab work to contend with and very limited knowledge on the in's and outs of doing it. I know the alternator needs relocating to the rear of the bay and an adaptor made up for the inlet mani, then finding a suitable belt to run it all, without slipping like a bitch ( I think I saw on Vortex someone used a 1.5mtr long belt!!)

It can be done obviously, a few US companies tried to develop a kit but abbandoned the idea as it was a bitch to do and the centrifugal type charger works better on a VR, which is why the likes of VF are now so popular

Personally, if I where to do it all again, Id save up and get a Rotrex set up, at least then its tried and tested and reliable with plenty of support on forums when needed

I think the problem im having is that to get a conventional supercharger kit is the best part of £1500/ £2000 which i dont have or want to spend.

Ive had a few looks around and from what ive seen the alternator can be moved to where the aircon pump should be and the charger placed where the alternator usually is.

Apparently that works.

Ive already spoken to a guy that is able to fabricate the mounts and the blanking plate to go over the supercharger to create circular outlets so thats not really an issue.

What do peeps think now? Still not worth it? or go for it?

alex its totally up to u, if you think u can make it work then go for it, ive heard of these conversions being done and being succesfull. i started looking into it a while ago but decided against it when the motor took a sicky on me and wiped out my funds

Positive displacement chargers are far better for torque than centrifugals. The Eaton will be making torque far lower in the rev range than the Vortech / Rotrex etc, which do feck all until ~ 4000rpm.

Tricky to fit, but more rewarding imo.

Yes the Eatons sap power, but so do the Centrifugals.

Id imagine at about 2-2.5k the torque would start to pull, but tail off further up the range, kind of like a G-lader

Would the car be your daily driver? If its not go for it, then you arent under pressure to iron all the kinks out fast to get it back on the road and gives you plenty of time to get it spot on and reliable and no doubt lots a messing around with MDF trying to make up patterns for the mounts to be machined

Hi there, the m90 is the one to use as even that runs out of puff, but m112 is just real tricky and big i think to package nicely, but the boost would be nice. With the m90, torque is strong from 1500 rpm at 175 lb/ft up to 270 ish at 4000 rpm :-d

Id imagine at about 2-2.5k the torque would start to pull' date=' but tail off further up the range, kind of like a G-lader

[/quote']

Yep. PD chargers build boost very quickly, then level off and hold the set boost to the redline. Well, good ones sized to the application accordingly do. some tend to drop a little boost as the revs rise.

Centrifugals as we know, need revs to make the boost, the more revs, the more boost.

PDs are better for every day drivers imo, the torque's right where you need it :-)

They used to be on ebay all the time for as little as £100 as people with Mini's quite often upgrade early on, so for that kind of money its worth buying one to have a mess around with to see if its viable for you, if not the saxo boys love them so you'd get your money back easy, or even give it a polish up and then sell to a saxo boy for a tidy profit

Positive displacement chargers are far better for torque than centrifugals. The Eaton will be making torque far lower in the rev range than the Vortech / Rotrex etc' date=' which do feck all until ~ 4000rpm.

Tricky to fit, but more rewarding imo.

Yes the Eatons sap power, but so do the Centrifugals.

[/quote']

I heard the exact sme thing as well.

The car is a daily, but would be set up by a company rather so they can iron out the small issues rather than me.

Hi there' date=' the m90 is the one to use as even that runs out of puff, but m112 is just real tricky and big i think to package nicely, but the boost would be nice. With the m90, torque is strong from 1500 rpm at 175 lb/ft up to 270 ish at 4000 rpm :-d

[/quote']

Is this advice from experience? Still not completely convinced that the M62 is the right charger.

Want to be running about 300hp by the end of the build.

What do other peeps think?

Cheers

would a m62 give a nice bit of extra power or would it be put on and leave you feeling like it doesnt work right. if you know what i mean.

if a m62 boosts ok and doesnt drop and feel wrong id give one of them for a go. Would be happy with say 230/40 brake.