vr turbo kit

im looking to turbo my vr but cant find any kits from the UK.

i e-mailed a company from America and they said that their kits are for left hand drive cars and that they wer'nt sure if the left hand drive kit would fit a right hand drive car.

I've seen a few kits on eBay, so im just wondering if my best option is to just get one from there? or if anyone knows of a company in the UK that do turbo kits? if so do they have a website? or would a left hand drive turbo kit fit a right hand drive car?

any help appreciated

No such thing as a bolt on kit, but C2 Motorsports UK are apparently developing a RHD kit, but their website is permanently "under construction" so you might be waiting eons for that.

Just do what every one else does and go with the ATP manifold and relocate the brake fluid container. Or if you get a turbo with a 3" intake, you may not need to move the brake pot.

No such thing as a bolt on kit' date=' but C2 Motorsports UK are apparently developing a RHD kit, but their website is permanently "under construction" so you might be waiting eons for that.

[/quote']

The very last stage of our RHD kit is being worked on as I type this now, so I dont think anyone will be waiting for "Eons"

Below is a 2.5" 'Stage1' Downpipe:

63mm_nonwg.jpg

Hi all, been reading for months and never posted, so here goes with numero uno as I feel I've been in a similar situation recently...

Just do what every one else does and go with the ATP manifold and relocate the brake fluid container. Or if you get a turbo with a 3" intake' date=' you may not need to move the brake pot.

[/quote']

I didn't use an ATP manifold like everyone else - there's lots of options that I had to consider when I put mine together last year, but as has been said, there's no complete kit at the moment, which is a shame... the VR was born for turbo!

After a fair bit of research and a lot of cash spent, I came up with the following - this is by no means a piece of advice as to what you should do - in fact there's probably lots that people would say could be better, but here it is anyway:

Wossner 83mm pistons (8.0:1 cr)

Pauter rods

60# injectors

MBE management

268 cams

gt35r 1.06 exhaust housing

tial 38mm wastegate

tial bov

custom 3" stainless exhaust

custom intercooler, stainless pipework

avc-r boost controller limiting boost at 3/4 bar (at the moment, waiting for new clutch before turning it up!)

I've not got the dyno results scanned in but peak power was 437.3 bhp with peak torque of 428.4 ftlb. Not too bad for a stock looking pale (faded!) blue mk2 golf!

I'd like to give you a total for what it cost me, but I'm afraid if I add it all up I may be forced to reveal the figure to my wife, which may end in divorce, which would be even more expensive. ;)

If you've got any questions about the set up I did, then please feel free to send me a msg on here and I'll try and answer. Like I said, there's other ways of doing it, but the above seemed to fit best for me. :)

Magic Dave

Named for his famous disappearing act when someone mentions work.

personally don't see what takes so long' date=' Its only the down pipe that need making, then collecting the rest of the bits together put in a box and sell?

[/quote']

Well, not quite... I had to get all the boost pipes made, find suppliers for all of the bits of silicon, blow off valve, wastegate, turbo, everything - and that was just as a retail customer wanting one thing of everything, god knows how long it'd take for a company to set up agreements with suppliers for that many components. I'm an electrical engineer, and fortunately the company I work for has a guy who's sole job it is to sort out suppliers and vendors, sod that for a lark!

Oh saying nothing of testing. I'm still testing my stuff and keep blowing the hoses off 'cos one of the pipes isn't quite right. I'll get it remade at some point, but just tightening up the jubilee clip will have to do for now. :)

Magic Dave

personally don't see what takes so long' date=' Its only the down pipe that need making, then collecting the rest of the bits together put in a box and sell?

[/quote']

Well, not quite... I had to get all the boost pipes made, find suppliers for all of the bits of silicon, blow off valve, wastegate, turbo, everything - and that was just as a retail customer wanting one thing of everything, god knows how long it'd take for a company to set up agreements with suppliers for that many components. I'm an electrical engineer, and fortunately the company I work for has a guy who's sole job it is to sort out suppliers and vendors, sod that for a lark!

Oh saying nothing of testing. I'm still testing my stuff and keep blowing the hoses off 'cos one of the pipes isn't quite right. I'll get it remade at some point, but just tightening up the jubilee clip will have to do for now. :)

Magic Dave

Do your boost pipes not have a lip on the end of them to stop them blowing off? C2 can surply most of the parts above. and theirs loads of company's that can supply everything bar the down pipe and software (which C2 have covered) They have been saying they have a RHD kit in development for AGES now

Do your boost pipes not have a lip on the end of them to stop them blowing off?

They do' date=' it's just the angle on one of the pipes doesn't quite sit right, so when under load it tries very hard to pull itself out of the silicone tube on the input to the intercooler.

I'm sure it was correct when it was all measured up and fitted in the first time, but I'm buggered if I can figure out a way of making it sit correctly now. That being said, I have reseated the engine since then so I guess it may have moved around by the required amount to make it not right.

Recently heard of C2... can't say I know too much about software/ECUs etc, I've got a mate who sorts all that out for me, so can't recommend or even have an opinion, can give him a shout and ask him what he thinks though.

Magic Dave

[i']Named for his famous disappearing act when someone mentions work.

you could always try double clipping the pipes.. worked for me..

Doh! I never even thought of that - I'll see if I can find some spare jubbees and give that a go!

so best bet is to contact c2 then???

I've not had a chance to speak to my man who knows these things yet unfortunately, though it might be worth giving them a ring and finding out from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Are you an inline-vee turboer like myself, Bodge?

ill be going c2, when funds allow.. i did and do still want standalone, as ive always been intrested in mapping.

i also found that a quick tighten of the pipe clips, after a hot run , has stopped anything coming of since.. heat expands an all that..

I didn't use an ATP manifold like everyone else -

Which one did you use out of interest?

After a fair bit of research and a lot of cash spent' date=' I came up with the following -

Wossner 83mm pistons (8.0:1 cr) [/quote']

They're 8.6ish:1 with the MK4 3 layer gasket. I use the same ones. Done 30K on them so far with no issues.

268 cams

tial 38mm wastegate

Not teaching you to suck egss' date=' but with those cams and turbo, I'd seriously consider upping your game to the Tial 44mm gate. The 38 is known for spiking and is undersized for your application too....imo. I currently have the 38mm also with a 0.82 35R and it's too small! Not enough flow once the target boost has been achieved. The 38mm is good for high boost though :-) But at 11psi. the 44mm is better for your EGTs.

avc-r boost controller limiting boost at 3/4 bar

I've not got the dyno results scanned in but peak power was 437.3 bhp with peak torque of 428.4 ftlb.

437hp and 428lb ft from 11psi !! F'ck me that's bloody good! You said Brake hp, which assumes a crank figure? Still bloody good though! Well done.

I'd like to give you a total for what it cost me' date=' but I'm afraid if I add it all up I may be forced to reveal the figure to my wife, which may end in divorce, which would be even more expensive. ;) [/quote']

I can relate to that. And also how many companies you have to aquire bits from. I've lost count!

Looking back on my project, I would say it's all the plumbing fittings and silicon parts that really start making the project expensive. You really cannot cut corners in that department. The VR loves to run hot and the stock cooling parts take a real battering when a turbo is thrown into the mix.

so best bet is to contact c2 then???

best bet is to make up the kit yourself and get a down pipe custom made. unless you don't mind waiting a little longer for the C2 kit

this question has prob been asked a million times but what are the basics needed for a turbo set up bar the manifold? im just after a small power gain to start with and get it on the road and will build up as and when funds permit to higher power. basically what turbo would i need? can i rob one from another car like a scooby or rs turbo.

Scooby TD04 and 5s are a bit small for a VR6, the boost will drop off quite quickly past 5K I would imagine. RS turbo one definitely too small.

T3/T04e with a 0.63 back housing is as small as I would go personally.

T3/T04e, GT3076R, GT3582R, T70, T60-1 are popular turbos for the VR6.

The basics are:-

1) Lower compression - Spacers being the cheapest option

2) Fit turbo and manifold

3) From there, work out the pipework and plumbing and get it made.

4) Setup and mapping.

There are no black & whites. I don't think I've seen 2 VR6 Turbos the same. Each owner has their own requirements and way of doing things.

I didn't use an ATP manifold like everyone else -

Which one did you use out of interest?

I think the manufacturer is SPA - bought on ebay. Like I said' date=' no problems so far.

After a fair bit of research and a lot of cash spent' date=' I came up with the following -

Wossner 83mm pistons (8.0:1 cr) [/quote']

They're 8.6ish:1 with the MK4 3 layer gasket. I use the same ones. Done 30K on them so far with no issues.

These were a custom set as I specifically requested 8.0:1 - so they'd bloody better not be 8.6! Can't really complain about the turn-around time for custom work - only took a week to do and another two days for delivery to my (not very local) parcel force depot over in team valley!

I've not done anywhere near the mileage that you have, must be on about 3k in total, and other than boost pipes popping off every now and again, touch wood no problems. :)

268 cams

tial 38mm wastegate

Not teaching you to suck egss' date=' but with those cams and turbo, I'd seriously consider upping your game to the Tial 44mm gate. The 38 is known for spiking and is undersized for your application too....imo. I currently have the 38mm also with a 0.82 35R and it's too small! Not enough flow once the target boost has been achieved. The 38mm is good for high boost though :-) But at 11psi. the 44mm is better for your EGTs.

[/quote']

Yeah, absolutely - like I said, as soon as the clutch is done, the boost is getting turned up - so 10-11 psi is only temporary. Not sure quite how far to go, that'll probably be up to my mate more than anything else, as he's got to tune it, but that's why the small wastegate is on there. Can't wait until that's done, though... I'll be doing my bit for Shell's profits, that's for sure. :)

Honestly, EGT wise - I've no idea what the figures were, but my mate seemed happy with it - I'll ask him.

avc-r boost controller limiting boost at 3/4 bar

I've not got the dyno results scanned in but peak power was 437.3 bhp with peak torque of 428.4 ftlb.

437hp and 428lb ft from 11psi !! F'ck me that's bloody good! You said Brake hp' date=' which assumes a crank figure? Still bloody good though! Well done.

[/quote']

Yup, that's crank - honestly I'm not sure what the wheel figures were, I completely failed to ask and the printout doesn't show wheel. What surprised me was the torque figure - I wasn't expecting it to be as high as the bhp - guess I'm just used to the school of jap cars revving to 4 million rpm. ;)

I'd like to give you a total for what it cost me' date=' but I'm afraid if I add it all up I may be forced to reveal the figure to my wife, which may end in divorce, which would be even more expensive. ;) [/quote']

I can relate to that. And also how many companies you have to aquire bits from. I've lost count!

Looking back on my project, I would say it's all the plumbing fittings and silicon parts that really start making the project expensive. You really cannot cut corners in that department. The VR loves to run hot and the stock cooling parts take a real battering when a turbo is thrown into the mix.

Ahh, I'm lucky. Being a sparky (sorry, Electrical Engineer!), I was lucky enough to be in contact with a guy who is a hydraulics engineer - I got a lot of extremely high quality fittings, pipework, hoses, and all manner of copper washers and the like for a massively reduced price. He did enjoy telling me quite how much I was saving at every available opportunity while we were in the pub and it was his turn to buy drinks. ;)

I think the manufacturer is SPA - bought on ebay. Like I said' date=' no problems so far.[/quote']

I've had 2 of those crack on me, which is why I'm upgrading to the ATP manifold. Good luck with it, I hope it doesn't crack on you!

[

These were a custom set as I specifically requested 8.0:1 - so they'd bloody better not be 8.6! Can't really complain about the turn-around time for custom work - only took a week to do and another two days for delivery to my (not very local) parcel force depot over in team valley!

Well this is the thing. Wossner advertise the VR6 T pistons as being 8.5:1' date=' but when mine arrived, they were actually 8:1. So Vince at stealth who got them in for me rang Wossner to confirm and they said "Yep, they are indeed 8:1 because the 3 layer Head gasket increases compression half a point, giving you a final CR of 8.5-8.6:1..."

Who knows, don't have the skills or equipment to measure these things properly, so I have to take their word for it!

I've not done anywhere near the mileage that you have, must be on about 3k in total, and other than boost pipes popping off every now and again, touch wood no problems. :)

Sounds like you've engineered it well, so you should be fine.

Not had the boost hose problem as yet, well, only once when I forgot to connect the wastegate hose, but then I only run the same boost as you, ~ 11psi. I would recommend Murray hose clamps. They're not cheap, but they're absolutely superb!

Yeah' date=' absolutely - like I said, as soon as the clutch is done, the boost is getting turned up - so 10-11 psi is only temporary. Not sure quite how far to go, that'll probably be up to my mate more than anything else, as he's got to tune it, but that's why the small wastegate is on there. Can't wait until that's done, though... I'll be doing my bit for Shell's profits, that's for sure. :)

Not sure you need to turn the boost up with the power you're making already!! :-)

Honestly' date=' EGT wise - I've no idea what the figures were, but my mate seemed happy with it - I'll ask him. [/quote']

It's nice to keep an eye on those, get yourself an EGT guage in the car :-)

Yup' date=' that's crank - honestly I'm not sure what the wheel figures were, I completely failed to ask and the printout doesn't show wheel. What surprised me was the torque figure - I wasn't expecting it to be as high as the bhp - guess I'm just used to the school of jap cars revving to 4 million rpm. ;) [/quote']

Got to be around 380whp at least, the VR6 box tends to rob 45-50hp normally....or 20hp if you're american, LOL! :-) That is an unprecedented amount for such low boost. Mind you, you do have the 268s and 1.06 back housing, which all helps. My mate's VRT running the same turbo, pistons etc (albeit 82mm) etc makes the same 380whp with 15psi, so your mapping mate is definitely doing something right!

Yeah your torque is great! Wanna swap engines? LOL

Ahh' date=' I'm lucky. Being a sparky (sorry, Electrical Engineer!), I was lucky enough to be in contact with a guy who is a hydraulics engineer - I got a lot of extremely high quality fittings, pipework, hoses, and all manner of copper washers and the like for a massively reduced price. He did enjoy telling me quite how much I was saving at every available opportunity while we were in the pub and it was his turn to buy drinks. ;)

[/quote']

Nice one!

What exhaust silencers did you use in your 3" system? Is it a single box setup? Is it quiet? That's next on my to do list but I don't want a nasty loud system that drones on the motorway!

Scooby TD04 and 5s are a bit small for a VR6' date=' the boost will drop off quite quickly past 5K I would imagine. RS turbo one definitely too small.

T3/T04e with a 0.63 back housing is as small as I would go personally.

T3/T04e, GT3076R, GT3582R, T70, T60-1 are popular turbos for the VR6.

The basics are:-

1) Lower compression - Spacers being the cheapest option

2) Fit turbo and manifold

3) From there, work out the pipework and plumbing and get it made.

4) Setup and mapping.

There are no black & whites. I don't think I've seen 2 VR6 Turbos the same. Each owner has their own requirements and way of doing things.

[/quote']

well im only after small power gains to start with and probably buy sensible condition used parts just to get it all plumbed in and running. then gradually upgrade/strengthen things as i get used to the power, from what i can gather from your list im looking at a standard supra/skyline turbo or a t3/t4 hybrid not sure what way round, im guessing t3 is hot side t4 is compressor since t4 sounds larger and a larger compressor means more air. i dont know naff all about turbo's or building turbo kits so this is a very risky 1st attempt since im also crap at mechanics and im doing it all to my only car that i cant afford to blow another engine on lol. plus i dont want to buy something that dont fit.

What exhaust silencers did you use in your 3" system? Is it a single box setup? Is it quiet? That's next on my to do list but I don't want a nasty loud system that drones on the motorway!

My mate knows a welder who made the entire system up in stainless - not sure what the boxes are, but there's two on there: a big round one in the tunnel and the back box in the usual mk2 place, I suspect he may have made them from scratch as my mate was talking about having to find him some exhaust box filling.

It's quite quiet, certainly to the point that it doesn't give away whats under the bonnet - almost a shame really, but always worth it when disappearing on someone who really didn't expect it from a little ol' mk2. :)