[poll] German or Jap

Well guys as a few of u know i have been toying with the idea of getting something Jap (father forgive me for i have sinned) instead of the Golf.

Well i have been offered an Evo 6 in pretty much mint condition, standard except Enkie Evo 8 wheels, with only 50k on the clock in exchange for the golf and 2k his way. The Evo is a 99 V plate, in silver, just had cambelt, tensioners and pulleys all changed including balance shaft belt and tensioner with receipts to prove.

The question is, what shall i do?!?

Please vote and give a reason lol!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm but looking at the things he's changed and the fact its a low miler i would hopefully be able to avoid crossing that bridge!

Plus mine hasnt had the chains done yet and little niggly things keep going on her so maybe best to get her sold before i chuck more money at her!

There are two more options:

1) Mercedes CLK 430 V8 (2001)

2) '08 R32 engine transplant in the Golf

What to do, what to do :S

Hmmm but looking at the things he's changed and the fact its a low miler i would hopefully be able to avoid crossing that bridge!

Plus mine hasnt had the chains done yet and little niggly things keep going on her so maybe best to get her sold before i chuck more money at her!

What to do' date=' what to do :S

[/quote']

Mmmm R32 engine sounds a good idea!!!!!!!! :-p

Was tempted by a scooby last year (never liked Evo's dont ask me why dont know just dont !! ) but as Craig said I spoke to a couple of mates who run them and the thing that put me off is the high repair costs and later in life engines going bang if they are not studiously maintained.

I like the idea of the CLK but if it was me, and I went through this same dilemna a few months back, I would stick with the golf and get a big shiny wooshy thing to go just to the left of the engine ;);)

[/quote']

Yer but just feel the power is going to get wasted with not being able to get it down. The golf is bad enough as it is with only 206bhp.

Plus only really got 2k to spend if i dont sell or p/x her, could i get an R32 engine bought and transplanted for that??

Was tempted by a scooby last year (never liked Evo's dont ask me why dont know just dont !! ) but as Craig said I spoke to a couple of mates who run them and the thing that put me off is the high repair costs and later in life engines going bang if they are not studiously maintained.

I like the idea of the CLK but if it was me' date=' and I went through this same dilemna a few months back, I would stick with the golf and get a big shiny wooshy thing to go just to the left of the engine ;);)

[/quote']

Problem with wooshy devices is i would need to spend more on making the engine stronger and more able to cope with wooshy devices! Thats why i deleted that option and replaced it with the idea of an R32 engine. Then, maybe come summer time, strap on a wooshy thing to that! ;) But then i still ahve to sort out traction.... arghhhh life is so hard sometimes!

if speed is the most important factor here mate, go for the mitsi, its a bloody quick car out of the box, drive it for 6 months, and the beauty with that car is that as long as the engine is sweet, and the work that he says has been done, you can chuck £1500 at it and get it up around 350 to 370 brake, reliabe. that doesnt even get you a stage 1 supercharger on the vr, and as you mentioned, the traction then becomes the issue, whereas the 4wd on the mitsi will make it a bit more bearable, and then that thing will be silly quick, but be warned tne interior looks like a sheeps intestines!!!!!!!

[/quote']

Yer but just feel the power is going to get wasted with not being able to get it down. The golf is bad enough as it is with only 206bhp.

Plus only really got 2k to spend if i dont sell or p/x her, could i get an R32 engine bought and transplanted for that??

ye you proberly are right. :-(

Hard to say buddy..what to do?....IMHO..the VR6 is worth stickin with..U dont pass many on the roads every day so that makes them unique enough..as for Evos..unless its a MR FQ300/340/400 with all the carbon goodies (big money) its pointless,..Evos are every where...more girls driving around in Evos and Skylines in my county than lads...R32 transplant sounds sweet though..that might surprise a few rice burning faces ...hahah

from my point of view i dont think i wud go jap the runing costs of the evo r masive the insurance is also high yes a much quicker car but when they break they cost the earth 2 fix. i know plenty of people who have had scoobys and evos and loved em until they go wrong which they then try 2 get rid of em and no 1 wants them. up 2 u tho m8 i would personally stick with ur vr yes its old nd doesnt have the poke of an evo but the evo has nothing on the build quality of the vr. i also fink after puttin in so much effort into ur vr u will regret cin it go. the only time i wud sell mine is if i needed cash for a house just like pete did good luck

yer but have u had ur chains done? My engine has done 126' date='000 now and dont think the chains have been done yet. Plus i know once i go stage 1 it will b a matter of months before i want more!!! Then comes internal work coz i'm a greedy c*nt and like it all at once!!

[/quote']

nope not had the chains done yet mate - had them checked twice since had the car and both times no probs - going from stage 1 to stage 2 is pretty cheap mate (well with a z-engineering charger anyway so I presume the others are similar) in that all u need to buy are different sized pulleys - as u say you do start to need to do a few bits to the internals but not until you go over 300bhp and in a 2wd car thats loads !!!

i know where your coming from. Few weeks back while dreaming of turbo charging and putting 4 wheel on my golf i i thought wtf, it be much easier to buy a road rally car like a evo scooby, and to be honest it would probably suit my driving style better

Where i stand is look wise the golf, build wise the golf, style wise the golf, reliably the golf, brand wise the golf but i get the feeling performance wise the evo... saying that im still going to go though with my plans and hopfully make a VR faster in a state line than an evo and hopefully not to shabby in the corners, certainly faster round corners than can be deemed safe on pubic roads so there for overall for a fast road car im saying put some money into the golf :) lol

Ive been tempted a few times for an Evo 7, but as with most jap cars the interior is shit and servicing is a pain, I know someone with one with FSH and its had a clutch every year since new! Plus the insurance on them is mental!! It would cost me 3 times more than my Charged/heavily modded VR with a hefty excess aswell and all before you even think about a few small mods on an Evo

Ive been tempted a few times for an Evo 7' date=' but as with most jap cars the interior is shit and servicing is a pain, I know someone with one with FSH and its had a clutch every year since new! Plus the insurance on them is mental!! It would cost me 3 times more than my Charged/heavily modded VR with a hefty excess aswell and all before you even think about a few small mods on an Evo

[/quote']

youve said it yourself there really...

alot more power, but alot less reliablity + higher running costs...

altho if you got 300bhp out of your vr, it would decrease relaibilty and handle like shite comapred to a 4wd evo...

what about an audi TT 225 rempaped or somethin along those lines.

personly the 30t anni turbo is tempting me after a guy picked one up for 3,500 on here.... 180 standard easy 250 out of them with a remap and few bits i should think. shame they dont come with leather tho