ive been looking for a vr6 for a while now and found one with 119,000 miles fsh vw mechanic excellent condition and looks great. I know these engines hold up well but what kind of mileage do they last and would this be a good mileage to buy. Just waiting to find out if timing chain and tensioners have been changed any info very much appreciated. oh and its an 1996 p reg so guessing obd2

VR6's are Good motors that just keep on going. But at 120k your be looking at chains and tensioners. The water works tend to be poor as well. Look for leaks around the crack (transfer) pipe and thermostat block. Water pumps seem to be a problem, especially the original plastic impeller type.

If you can get a compression test done. Persoanly I wouldn't touch a car with anything below 120psi (tested when hot, throttle full open, all plugs removed and fuel relay removed). Any variance of 40psi between cylinders and the head/valves will probably need looking at.

Top mount bearings go especially if it's on stiffer springs. And the dreaded rust. Jacking points, rear arches, rear boot lid, above the windscreen, open the door and check around the main body door seals for rust.

cheers all think i have seen the golf for me. My mechanic owns it at the mo along with a host of other cars, Focus st, Noble, Golf vr6, Vauxhall astra. The cars on 79,000 and been well looked after it has 16inch alloys and lowered and stiffened suspension. He wants £2000 plus my old rover 200 for it.