My supercharged golf - the love affair is over, it's gone :(

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ben ' date=' im about all day tommorrow, fitting bits and painting me pipes..

pop over if you want a second look and a vag com

[/quote']

your a legend cheers mate will give you a bell in the morning :) going to take another look in the light am and then take it for a quick spin and if it still does it will defo run it over - cheers mate

right so problem has been fixed - the coilpack was royally shagged - cracked all over the place :( so a £4 tube of araldite later and all is well :) runs sweet as a nut again :)

Shame about the accident as you missed a good afternoon in Ipswich - lots of lovely dubs and nice hot weather :)

right the list is growing of things to get done before Spring Fest - got my thermostat housing to replace and the expansion tank, secure air filter and clean maf, the new grill, bonnet lifters then clean the engine bay and the whole car oh and replace the sunroof which I need help for - Brett ;) ;) going to be a long and busy week !! but using the couple of hours drive as a test before the drive to Germany the week after !!!

when you doing the roof ben?? shame we cant do it at bretts saturday coming' date=' when im having my car rolling roaded.. i could lend a jim'll fix hand then

[/quote']

not sure - if Brett can do it Saturday morning or early afternoon then more than happy with running the car up then mate :) a jim'll fix it hand sounds like a fine plan :)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :@ :@ :@

please please help peeps !!

drove the car yesterday afternoon and on the way shopping the rev needle suddenly dropped to 0 the oil light came on and the engine cut out - turned the key and it fired back up drove to the shop no probs - checked obvious probs and nothing out of order under the bonnet. Then this morning driving it after about 5 mins it did it again the rev needle drops instantly to 0 oil warning light comes on, turned the key and nothing !! coasted to a stop, checked under the bonnet again nothing obvious, waited a few mins then tried starting it and it turned over but would not fire left it again for a few mins - it fired up so started to drive home- then again the same prob with the rev needle and oil light, it would die but I turned the key and it fired up again. However eventually and rather convenitently it finally died outside a garage !! puched it onto the garage and the friendly mechanic gave it the once over while I walked home to get vag-com - when I got back he thought he was an electric prob due to the way the engine was behaving then we stuck it on vagcom and it came up with the following faults - 553,17978,543,65535,513. Then while we were poking about we noticed the following couple of things (see pics below) both connected to the MAF - please please help any ideas ?? as this is seriously driving me up the wall :( :(

in the pic - what are these loose wires for ??

1237901186_5463_FT249558_24032009172_.jpg

one of the wires into the maf has been worn would this cause the probs ?

1237901186_5463_FT249558_24032009174_.jpg

So checked the codes and they are :-

553, - Mass Air Flow Sensor

17978, -

543, - P0726 Engine Speed Input Circuit - RPM Upper Limit Exceeded

65535,Control Unit Failure or Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error or Power Failure to Control Unit or Bad Ground Contacts or No Faults Recorded (If MIL Not Illuminated)

65535 No Faults Recorded (If MIL Not Illuminated)

65535 Control Unit Faulty (In Some Systems)

513. - 00513 Engine Speed Sensor - G28 - Idle RPM Too Low

00513 Engine Speed Sensor - G28 - Idle RPM Too High

00513 Engine Speed Sensor - G28 - Signal Malfunction

As always the 00513always shows when the car isn't running. 00543 will be because you've had the rev limit removed?

The 65536 ( or -1 to us tech geeks ! ) sounds very ominous like the ECU is on it's way out but maybe just a bad earth as said. Certainly check first.

For something else to try, swap in the engine speed sensor I gave you to see if it would help Steve's.

The 65536 ( or -1 to us tech geeks ! ) sounds very ominous like the ECU is on it's way out but maybe just a bad earth as said. Certainly check first.

For something else to try' date=' swap in the engine speed sensor I gave you to see if it would help Steve's.

[/quote']

cheers mate - I just had a new ecu when the charger went on from C2 on here so I hope it's not that !!! how do I check the earth - remember am completely mechanically a muppet !!

left the engine speed sensor with Steve :-( as were not sure his would continue to work

use a multimeter to check the resistance between the ground pin(s) on the ECU plug and the negative battery teminal. Also check the voltage across the live pin(s) and ground. Not sure which pin is which but from memory the ECU plug has 4 which are bigger than the rest, I asusme those are the supply connections.

ben the 2 lose wires are from the carbon canister which you no longer have. i can redo the maf wires if you want, but i dont think its that. check earthing points on battery ecu, and engine..

but if its cuting out intermitantly, it does perhaps point to the engine speed sensor.. im about saturday afternoon if it helps, as im on a rolling road at bretts sat morning.. or if you can get to me during the day , ill get out of bed and give it a damm good going over.

jim