Im looking to buy a laptop next month and needed help on what i should buy and where from. My budget is around £400. Any recommendations? I was thinking about getting it from like curry's or pc world and getting a 5 year insurance along with it but i hear people sayin them big stores are just rip offs. any advice?

thanks

no recommendations. but I have just brought an Advent 4211 Netbook which does what I want and was only £280.

what do you want it to do?

As for insurance, a laptop of that price should be covered by your normal household contents insurance. extended guarantees are a rip as well. should come with a 1 or even 2 year manufacturers guarantee and frankly if it breaks after that buy a new one. they'll be half the price or twice the power - Moores law

Currys. but they are also available from PC World and Dixons. Advent is their group brand.

Down side is no optical drive, so you will need all your music as MP3s already and barely over 2hr battery life with the stock 3 cell one. rumours are for a 6cell version to be available soon.

Pros. small & light but with a near full size keyboard. works effortlessly with an external monitor. Last night I had it playing DivX movies on my 19" wides screen whilst using the small inbuilt screen to surf.

Runs XP which is a good or bad thing depending on your view.

what ever laptop u buy make sure it has a min of 2gb memory and a 1.8 dual core and above if running windows vista (as u wont find many computers coming with windows xp) as ull b waiting for days for it to load. if u are lookin for a cheapish laptop i would get an inspiron (dell) and never buy from pc world not only do they rip u off some models they sell dont even exist (meaning pc world have changed the product specifications from the original manufactures). i would look at dell or fujitu seimens need any more advice?

oh yea and make sure it comes with vista home premium as the minimum as home gives u fudge all

HP all the way. Get it from staples. I got my Hp laptop jan 07 for £380. Could not fault it. 2x AMD chip(they put intel chips in now) , 2 gb, 15.4"Hd screen. Looks better than some of the plastic looking ones. It looks like a marble/piano black finish.

I use mine for the same thing you'll be using yours for, so in that case, i recomend HP

what ever laptop u buy make sure it has a min of 2gb memory and a 1.8 dual core and above if running windows vista (as u wont find many computers coming with windows xp) as ull b waiting for days for it to load. if u are lookin for a cheapish laptop i would get an inspiron (dell) and never buy from pc world not only do they rip u off some models they sell dont even exist (meaning pc world have changed the product specifications from the original manufactures). i would look at dell or fujitu seimens need any more advice?

oh yea and make sure it comes with vista home premium as the minimum as home gives u fudge all

anything with the specs listed above will be fine for u