Gearbox removal problem.

I've had to leave my driveshafts on the gearbox and the splines attatched to the wheel hubs. Basically because I've discovered that the 6 or so female star bolts securing each DS to the tranny have been rounded off. The splined end connecting to the hub wont come off either.

It took a while, but I removed the sump...more bolts rounding off....till the O/S had enough play. Now I can't remove the gearbox because there doesnt appear to be enough space (actual GB pressing into wheel arch). I have the housing edge about 3 n 1/2 inches away from the block...the front moreso than the rear. I spent over 3hrs nearly with a crowbar, my hand...any leverege I could grab and I just couldn't remove it. Yes, both the GB and EB are supported with a trolley jack each.

Would it be worth removing the actual gearbox from the bell housing?

lower the engine and gearbox down a few " and it will give you enuff room to get it out of the chassie leg

Have you been using the right bit? There not star bits, I caught my mate trying to get them out with 6 side star bits but there are a fine 10 sided bit. I welded 13mm nuts onto the end to sort him out

• 5 weeks later...

Right, I made some progress today...removed the gearbox after god knows how long, then hit a brick wall....the fly wheel bolts are the sodding goddamn M8 TRIPLE SQUARE drive sods.

My question is, who out the knows where they can be bought and how big they are in MM?.....pretty please.

Another quick Q, in the last picture, there is a box type case. At a guess I'd say it's the oil pressure relief valve...way off the mark probably. Anyway, just need some help in identifying it as the pipe leading from it is buggered. Cheers in advance.

1222445464_7937_FT246033_dsc00536_.jpg

1222445464_7937_FT246033_dsc00533_.jpg