Service instructions

Guest couzens

Hi everyone,

Can peeps give me some detailed instructions on the following please:

1. Changing the oil filter on a highline. Am I right that i need a 13mm socket and a 5mm allen key, but can someone explain exactly the method of undoing the plastic container to get the filter out. I have been told (involves a bit of twisting somewhere) but bollx I've forgotten what they said

2. The plug removal tool you need, I know it sounds stupid to ask and I haven't seen one yet, but am I removing the lead from the plug with this tool or do I give the lead a yank and use the tool on the plug?

3. The fuel filter looks interesting to change. How many people have done it cos it seems a little unnecessary on a vehicle of this age and seeing as the UK doesn't allow dirty fuel, I wondered if it was a good idea? Seems to be one of those jobs that can cause more trouble than good.

I know its probably all self-explanatry but just want to make sure I'm prepared so that I'm not arsing about on the day.

Ps. its brilliant when the guy across the street works for VAG and offers to get all the parts required trade price :P

[ Edited ]

[ Edited ]

Not being funny, but if your asking all these questions, should you be doing it!?

jack car up. find oil filter housing at front of block, undo with allen key to drain oil out of filter, or youll get covered in oil.

do allen bolt back up, then unscrew filter housing 30 or 36mm socket (can`t remember, i just pick it up out of tool box!)

Sump plug is 19mm, and do it back up with new washer @30nm.

For f8@K sake dont pull on the lead. use the special tool. see you matey about borrowing his, as you need it to get down iside to pull on metal caps!!

Fuel filter is very easy, and is a must... undo 2x17mm nuts, and leaver the casing down. cut off 2x hose clips and replace filter with new clips.

Don`t use fully synth, as the VR burns it too quickly.

Don`t bother with platinum plugs... you don`t need them, & there over priced. Normal 3 prongs are fine.

Guest couzens

Yeah, speedo I know what I'm doing; yeah right Simon course you do.

No seriously, I'm just confirming a few things, obviously I will use a bit of common, but like with everything the first time I just had a few questions.

The fuel filter by the way is on the right hand side in front of the tank? Use to finding it in the engine bay. Wanted to make sure it wasn't the brake pressure reg I was staring at.

[ Edited Mon Feb 02 2004, 09:07PM ]

[ Edited Mon Feb 02 2004, 09:08PM ]

OOOPS!! i hope i havn`t started anything...

Mobile 1 is top quality oil, but is quite thin 5-40, and because of that, the VR tends to burn it off quickly, and because of that it hurts your pocket!!

From experience over the last few years, i`ve found the synta semi 15-40 a better lasting oil, that tends to do a good job.

Speedo is spot on, it's a 36mm socket that you require,which you may not have in your standard tool box, also from bitter experience can I recomend a long bar to attach to the socket ( and possibly a jack under the socket).

Although my car had full VW service history and I changed my oil 7K miles after the last entry, I found it impossible to remove the oil filter housing, Having drained the oil and struggled for 2 hours to try to remove the case (persisted for so long so as not to waste my new oil) I eventually gave up put my new oil in, and got my local garage to do it, they needed a 5 foot strong arm bar and both mechanics to crack the sticktion and remove the case (without rounding the nut) and they were certain by the tightness and the state of the oil/filter that it hadn't been changed at the last service (baring in mind the oil they changed was less than a week old).

Definitely use the plug removal tool to take the HT leads off as you run a high risk of damaging the leads if you pull on them ( some are very awkward to get to without the tool) there should be a plastic tool for this job clipped to your bonnet support, but if not you can buy one from VW for aprox £7 although it sounds like your neighbour is going to get you one anyway.

Also you may need a narrower spark plug removal socket/locking bar, the original one I had was the correct size for the spark plug nut, but when I tried to slip it down the access hole the outer diameter of the socket and the bar wouldn't get past a casting bulge ( as the plugs are so deep in the engine housing the access hole is quite narrow), therefore I had to buy a slimmer one which was fine, if in doubt see if your neighbour can borrow a set from work for the weekend, at least that way you can try your own, and if it gets stuck on the same casted part as mine at least you can finish the job with the borrowed one.

Hope your first service goes better than mine did, I posted my experience on another forum (performanceVWmag) and asked if It was common for the oil filter case to be so tight or was it just my bad luck, and I was surprised to hear that it was quite common, although all of the people who said it was common commented that the next time and on it was OK although they all changed their oil every 6K miles or less.

Happy servicing.

Regards.

MOZ