Steering Wheel Lift

just checked mine....ive also got some movement, mine got 89k fvwsh

they do move a bit due to it being adjustable.................have you looked at any others as a comparison...what's the mileage of the car.......history,... crash damage........all this could account for it............ive had to replace the bushes in the column on my old mk 2 but it had done sky rocket mileage............do you get movement if you pull the wheel back and forth ?! .............., you may find there's nothing wrong after all :)

[ Edited Thu Oct 07 2004, 01:43PM ]

Hey there. Right, it doesnt move up down left or right. It moves in and out... On non-airbag models i know theres a bolt that holds the wheel onto the shaft. Is this the same with the airbag? If so, how does the airbag wheel come off??

Thanks

ok, i'd get worried...do not use the car until it is sorted.

could be the bolt holding the wheel on, you have to disconnect the battery (for about an hour to be safe), then undo the two allen key bolts on the back of the wheel (these are supposed to be replaced with new ones), then the airbag section will lift off (BE GENTLE WITH IT AND KEEP IT IN THE UPRIGHT POSITION), then you'll be able to see the bolt. should be tightened to 50nm.

theres also some bolts where the column meets the rack, maybe down in the footwell. probably worth seeing if the column is moving there before doing the anything (get in the footwell with a torch and get someone else to wobble the wheel. if it moving down there then its not the steering wheel bolt.

i wheel that moves in and out.... not good, as acf says don't even think about driving it anywhere.

if you are still just looking at it and have not bought it i would check to see where the movement is coming from and if it is further down then walk away fast

Think Mk3's have the same sort of collapsable steering column arrangement as a Mk2, where once they have collapse you have to take the inner out and replace a small sacrificial clip which is there to stop any movement in and out, except when its been given a heavy blow.

This may also have something to do with your air bag light playing up.

Sounds to me like the car has either had a whack, and column done its job and collapsed on impact, or someone who doesn't know what they are doing has tried to remove steering wheel and given the inner shaft a good whack to remove the steering wheel. My advise...... stay away!

Fixed the airbag light problem, the bulb had burnt out. Steering wheel is only moving a tiny little bit, not that youd notice unless you were trying it. Im pretty sure it hasnt had a bash - had an advanced AA check done and they say its cool. Have booked it into a local garage tomorrow morning to check it out.

well, just got back from the garage. They say the movement is in the sealed coupling at the back of the engine bay. Have to go back another day to get it taken apart but he says its safe and its not the collapsable column and it hasnt had a bash. Phewweee... bet the coupling costs about £1000 though...