Ok, now this has been happening for a while, and although the majority of the time it doesnt bother me, i would like to get it sorted for Monday as i have someone to come and look @ the car.

Very inconsistent knocking noise from n/s front. I thought initially a gearbox mount but that seems fine.

Only occurs when pulling off and braking. Does it when in and out of gear. Doesnt effect driving the VR in anyway, just a bit irritating @ times.

Any suggestions?

have a look at n/s top mounting mate, the dohnut in the body on top of the strut. they wear like hell with age and stress etc, which ive known to make knocking noises on a few mk3's ive had me spanners around lol. not dear to buy new ones but its a strut off job to change them. hope this helps.

I have the same problem, when i go over speed humps and the odd bumps in the road. I had the top mount dohnut things changed for the MOT last year (because it failed) and everything felt tight. But then about 3 months later i had that knocking sound from the N/S front. Took the car for this years MOT, to the same place with the same man that does my car, and it passed. So i am very confused now. I would like to know what it is. Ive got a spax suspension kit by the way